JPK
(.375 member)
22/01/09 01:41 PM
Re: Hornady heavy magnum.

I use AA 2230 and have found it to be completely consistent and temperature insensative as well. I've used powder from three different lots in the last couple of years and it has produced the same velocity with the same load from two different barrels (which are soldered together.) I've tried it in cold weather and in very hot weather here in the US and it clocks the same or close enough that the difference is lost in ordinary deviation between individual loaded rounds.

My load is 72.5grs in Norma brass with Federal 215 primers shooting 500gr Woodleigh solids. My load runs 2145fps at the muzzles. This is a middlin' toward light load in the Hornaday book, to which I was referred by Woodleigh. ~26 1/4" barrels.

This load is plenty for elephants, buff or whatever else you might want to kill. FYI, there is a major improvement in performance of 500gr solids when you move from ~2050fps to 2145fps. The leap in peformance is not linear and is much greater than one would anticipate with a ~100fps gain in velocity.

If I recall correctly, 74 or 74.5grs does the same velocity with the Woodleigh 500gr softs.

No problems with standard reloading techniques, no drop tubes, etc.

Varget not only takes up too much room, it burns very dirty.

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com