mstarling
(.224 member)
24/03/04 01:32 AM
Re: Butch Searcy's double rifles

Ray,

I picked up a mould made by Ballisticast. It is a longer version of their 420 grain .475 diameter bullet for pistols. The little fella is a GCFP design with a very large meplat. The projectile cases very close to 0.476" with wheel weights. I've been filling the first 3 grooves with NRA formula Alox/Beeswax lube. These hide in the neck of the case. One of the fellas on the cast bullet forum made me some projectiles to try before I ordered a mould. Was VERY kind of him.

Ballisticast is the successor to H&G moulds (I have original H&G 4 and 6 gang molds in 41 and 44.) Their quality has not deteriorated at all! Still the very best I've ever used.

Butch's recommendation for a 500 grain cast bullet was 42.0 gr or XMR-5744. My rifle actually generates more velocity that he measured and groups slightly better at 40.0 grains. My measured velocity average for 40.0 gr is 1495 fps (2486 FPE) and for 42.0 is 1501 fps. My best groups have been a single hole with 4 shots (R-L-R-L) at 100 yards. It is 1.5" left of the bull center at 0 elevation. (Seriously, I think the windage is a function of my not being able to see the target well ... consistently, but not well!) The load kills deer rather effectively while having no recoil at all. Just a little muzzle flash ;>)

XMR-5744 seems to work up to 55 or so grains of charge weight. The velocity there is 1800 fps. The groups have become distorted by then.

I have not seen any evidence of alloy fouling with these loads.

I did try Wayne Douda's 540 grain projectile, but was not very successful with it.

If you want some test projectiles let me know.

Best,

mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com