9.3x57
(.450 member)
30/12/08 03:42 AM
Re: 500/416 experience's

Quote:

Don't forget, when thinking of bullet length, the work of some fellows, including, I believe, 500 Grains, on rifle twist and solid bullet stability and penetration in game. The same bullets at greater spin rates produce greater penetration in game.
JPK

JPK: Do you have a link to this?

I'd like to read the work done in this regard, particularly the actual twist rates compared. Very interesting. I have read comparisons of softs and spin revolutions-per-inch-penetration {reduced load terminal tests to duplicate performance at longer range, which is a similar concept} where slower rpip's showed essentially no difference in penetration.

For some reason I am thinking the British War Office Textbook of Small Arms 1929 has a reference to a similar study {can't remember the results} but I might be wrong there. I have a copy and I'll try to look that up.

Anyway, if you can point me to the link or post I'd appreciate it. Interesting stuff.

Intuitively it seems difficult to imagine that, say, a 14 inch twist would show much difference to a 16, but a 12 to a 20? More difficult "guess".

Contact Us NitroExpress.com