DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
29/12/08 09:35 AM
Re: Who will be left?

Quote:

I think you are right about the Savage and I think I read that somewhere in the distant past. I'll bet that Valmet isn't too far behind.

Your comment, 9ThreexFifty7, regarding synthetic stock double rifles is indeed a very interesting one. I'm really surprised one hasn't been offered. In terms of avoiding some of the hazards with airline damage to guns, it does make sense. The gun writers have sold us a bill of goods in stating that the synthetic stocked rifles are more accurate, blah, blah, blah, but we all know the real reason for the proliference of synthetic stocks is due to the depletion of good wood. It costs far less to produce a gun with a synthetic stock than it does to fit a gun with a nice piece of walnut. With that said, you may be onto something that we will soon see in the sacrosanct world of double rifles.

Where have you been? a 470NE double rifle, made of stainless steel,with a synthetic stock was offered by B. Searcy several years ago. It wasn't accepted too well, and was discontinued after a very short time. The last one of those was offered for sale at the Dallas Safari Club show a few years ago,by it's owner an African PH, it didn't sell at the show. It sold later as a collector piece, for some exorbitant amount!

I hunt a lot in Alaska's rainy Septembers, and I thought about buying one of Searcy's stainless/synthetic double rifles chambered for 375 flanged with QD scope mounts for hunting there, but I drug my feet too long!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com