peter
(removed)
28/12/08 02:19 AM
Re: Who will be left?

Quote:

What if design forms from other shooting disciplines entered double gun making? What if for example synthetic stocks entered the double gun market. What about a REALLY quick, easy device to regulate the gun? Or new action types, or truly affordable interchangeable barrels, headspace takeup arrangement of some sort to eliminate hinge wear between barrel setups, Biathlon-type stocking, etc, etc, etc,...

This type of change HAS occured in handgun design in my lifetime already and to some degree in bolt-action hunting rifle design but not yet with doubles.

I'm really brainstorming here, but taking a peek outside the box I see wide horizons!

most of what you suggest are allready possible, but when the companys can sell all there product capacity, as the traditionel dbl rifles at an elevated cost then why change.

i like progress as much as the next guy, but really dont want to see the changes come to this buisness, as it has done to the rest of the trade, my take on semi-autos and most boltguns are clear to all, mass fabricated chuncks of plastic and steel, proberly good tools but i will never own one again. the only gun not made for warfare is the double rifle, and therefore it has been out of the massproduction circus, it still is an old artform, where real people have to do the work by hand. if it was possible to produce a nice dbl. rifle by machine i predict that the artform will die out withinn a few generations.

i think if you really wanted to see a double rifle in camo plastic and stainless steel, it could be done but you would have to pay extra for it

best of new year to you

peter

Contact Us NitroExpress.com