Ripp
(.577 member)
26/12/08 01:57 AM
Re: 500/416 experience's

I really appreciate everyones thoughts on this..for me, and I assume those who have as well, one can literally remember the actual hunt while discussing elephants and calibers..everything from JPK discussing all is exploits with elephants to John seeing the brain coming out of the ears..good stuff...

JPK, you have my attention...had no idea you have taken that many elephant...impressive..
So, what velocity is your ammo running and what bullets do you use? I know we have discussed this before, but just want to confirm..I do have a german built Sauer in 458Win. at home..bought it from a trust funder whose grandfather had hunted in Africa many times..had it checked out for working order..shoots quite well...

One thing I will state, in a dangerous game area such as Chewore North, I will never go on a long walk/hunt carrying anything less than a .375 but again, prefer my 416 instead..too many close calls making the 30 cals look quite small..and shooting softs too boot...

I read a really good article last evening in HANDLOADER magazine on reloading the .308--while I realize entirely different circumstances--it provided info on how various bullet types held up under the test in regards to accuracy, weight retention, bullet consistency, etc..very indepth article and well worth the read no matter what you are shooting..

Thanks again and Merry Christmas..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com