9.3x57
(.450 member)
25/12/08 02:14 AM
Re: 500/416 experience's

Fascinating thread about a topic I likely will have no experience with, personally.

A couple questions:

First, you guys are discussing the technical merits of one cartridge vs another.

But what about what happens after you add the human element?

From my experience selling guns years ago, some of them in calibers you mention and to fellows going after big stuff, and range time with shooters in quite a number of states here, I'd say, dare I say, I do not believe many or even most of the guys hunting elephants even can shoot their heavies well. Did I say that? YES. And that is what I suspect drives some PH's to "shoot them for them" so-to-speak.

Mere money CAN buy elephant hunts as you guys know. A guy does not have to be a shooter or even a hunter to hunt elephants. You guys think and put the effort into something that others may merely "pay for".

I know the real answer to those heading for Africa is; "Get out and shoot your rifle and learn your rifle". More shooting for most of those worthies only means developing a worse flinch. So, seriously, JPK and RIPP and others, in the real world of hunting, where fellows are going to maybe if they are lucky shoot one or less than a half dozen elephant, what calibers would you recommend?

A .375 they can consistently hit a cinderblock with at 50 yards or a .458 that...

Can you guys make a "broad sweeping", reality-based {limitations of most hunters} recommendation? I bet there are those who are reading this thread who fit into the category of potential hunter of elephant but who are "normal" and cannot hit well with a big rifle...

I closely knew a father and son who had experience on hundreds of elephant in the Congo and remember what they told me, but I am very interested in what you guys think.

In other words; "How much does caliber make up for what might {likely...?} be poor shooting...?"

One last thing NOT related directly to the .416...I am very unsure of Taylor's actual field experience compared to many well-known and proven, modern PH's. I always take his stuff with a grain of salt, tho for sure he seems to have been proven right in most circumstances. Personally, I think he may have been as much of a perceptive barfly as he was a hunter of vast elephant killing experience. Another topic for another day...

Again, thanks for providing a rivetting {no pun intended...} and penetrating {...} discussion!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com