JPK
(.375 member)
24/12/08 02:14 AM
Re: 500/416 experience's

Rem 416 factory quoted velocity = 2400fps. But All I've ever read is that they run 2250fps or so.

If you want an opinion comparing the 416 Rem and the 458wm, you need look no further than Alan Shearing of Charlton McCollum Safaris. Alan moved from a Model 70 in 458wm to a Model 70 in 416 Rem because he had shot out the barrel of his 458wm and it came to the point that it would no longer shoot accurately and needed to be rebarreled.

I had the opportunity to share a camp with him in November and he bemoaned the "loss" of his 458wm, much prefering the 458wm to the 416 Rem.

Allan is a bolt rifle guy, but extending his preference, he made it clear that he prferred 500grs at 2100fps to 400grs at 2250fps. In other words, this elephant hunting PH made it clear, as every PH I have ever spoken to or almost every one who has voiced an opinion, he preferred the big bore to the medium bore. Or almost direct comparisions, he preferred the ballistics of the 450NE or 470 to the ballistics of the 500/416.

Also, with the penetration that I've seen with my 458wm and that of the 470, I'm finding it hard to imagine a shot angle that would provide enough elephant head to not reach the brain. Any angle that I can imagine that might prove an issue for the 450 - 470 class ballistics poses an equal issue for ANY rifle because the only angles that might prove a penetration challenge include the tusks and tusk sockets. And its the ivory and bone that are the issue, not the distance from POI to brain. In other words, the concern is regarding whether any bullet will hold together in thaose densest of dense materials. Of course, more velocity = more concern for bullet integrity too.

As I've said, I am a great fan of enough penetration, but after a point, imo, it is better to trade some "excess" penetration for more bullet diameter and weight.

BTW, and FWIW, the vaunted and legendary penetration of the 375H&H shooting 300gr solids at 2550fps does not equal the penetration of the 458wm shooting 500gr Woodleigh solids at 2145fps. I know this from direct comparisons in elephant heads.

You have sold yourself on the 500/416, that is clear. I hope it proves to deliver just what you are looking for.

Merry Christmas,

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com