Ripp
(.577 member)
24/12/08 12:11 AM
Re: 500/416 experience's

Quote:

24" - 18" = 6" .... 6" x 25fps/inch = 150fps.

This is a TREMENDOUS, HUGE difference. An 18" barreled NE is an abortion from the ballistic perspective alone. I won't do the math, but that 500 or 577 or whatever didn't have the umph to push that bullet far into the head of any elephant.

JPK

And that is my point when pointing out that the actual velocity of factory loaded .416 REms are at around 2450 fps--which is huge compared to 2300 in these lower velocity cartidges..

I agree with most of what you said-- but don't with regards to the .375, especially when hunting in dagerous game areas..imo,a good way to get you butt stomped...there is a noticable effect on game when shooting a 416 compared to a 375...same can be said when comparing the 416 to a 458 Lott..one argument however is MANY do not shoot a .458 Lott well..where as not so much a point with the .416--typically if you can shoot a 375 well, you can a 416 also..and depending on how/what you use for reloads, 416 to 200 yards is just as versatile..95% of your shots will be much less than that...actually a mere fraction of that..and when it comes to elephant--a tenth of that..

Another point I feel you basically confirm in your last explanation, is velocity is needed to penentrate, again, from ALL angles...my point is 2150 fps does not give you that from all angles..which may or may never be necessary..but since we are discussing penetration and the killing power of said cartridges, it is one thing to be considered..

Agree with you assessment, we all use what we feel comfortable with..you, the 458--me, the 416...and we are both happy so we should stick with them I guess..enjoyed the discussion...can usually learn quite a bit on this site..perfect point is this thread...thanks..

Now, I need to see if I can catch a plane to Minneapolis...Happy Holidays..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com