Der_Jaeger
(.375 member)
22/12/08 11:43 PM
Re: 500/416 experience's

I am a true fan of big bore rifles and had a .460 Weatherby for years that I shot quite a bit. I've even shot for Krieghoff at the various Vintage Cup events using the .500 NE. I love them. I now own a .416 Weatherby. However, show me a .416 with a good bullet that will not penetrate at least as far as any big bore .45+ caliber. The energy transferred by the bigger .416's. i.e. Weatherby, is at least as great as most of the .45's and sectional density is greater with the heavier bullets. Any caliber from .243 up through .45 can be classified as neither fish nor fowl depending how it's decribed. I can make the "fish nor fowl" argument for any caliber mentioned in that range and make it soundly enough where I would eventually believe it. If I were to make a choice on a true stopping rifle I would choose something in the .50 caliber range but I also believe the .416 would do the same thing. A stopping rifle is only a stopping rifle if it stops the game you shoot at and that only happens when it's hit in the right spot and a deep penetrating .416 shooting a 400 grain Barnes is going to penetrate more than adequately and much better than most. A miss is still a miss and a miss with a .45 isn't going to impress a 10,000 pound animal any more than a miss with a bullet that's 42 thousandths of an inch smaller.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com