JPK
(.375 member)
22/12/08 03:31 PM
Re: 500/416 experience's

Quote:

I would again assume like the other 416's that it is too big for medium game and too small for big game. Just my opinion of course.

I share this viewpoint, but in regards to elephants only. Not from the point of view that it won't work, 400grs or 410grs at 2250 has always worked, but from the point of view that it is less than ideal and that a 450, 470 or 500 is the better choice. So does every PH I know who does any significant amount of elephant PHing, including a couple who use 416's. The 416's aren't the stoppers the big bores are and that is simple fact.

Imo, this really only becomes a significant issue if a hunter is going to hunt a number of elephants. And while an ugly situation can be encounter on day one of hunt one, it becomes more likely the more elephants one hunts. And more likely as a hunter begins to want to close closer and closer, if he chooses to - and it seems that this is a trend with those who end up shooting more than a few elephants - and more likely when you throw tuskless hunting into the mix.

Be cautious regarding Ganyana's opinions on cartridges. He was severly wounded by poachers during the Rhino Wars and his shooting shoulder was badly damaged, leading to a severe bias against big bore rifles of every descripition. He is also not nearly as experienced as you report. Further, he has a strong bias against a client carrying a big bore rifle and does not believe it is either a good idea or neccessary. Much of his bias comes from his few clients - he PH's only occassionally and not even what would be considered part time - being unaccustomed to recoil. More bias comes from his viewpoint that you should trust your life to your PH, a view that I find, uhh, umm, well lets be polite and just say wrong. No PH, no matter how good, will always shoot perfectly, always have a decent brain shot opportunity, always see the elephant that is going to be a problem, and the thicker the bush the more likely the trouble. Seems too that the more elephant you hunt, the relatively more thick bush you will end up seeing.

Also, Ganyana, according to his own words, still uses a 458 Lott much of the time while PHing for elephants. Especially when the bush will be thick.

Some things to consider.

From my point of view, it is neither fish nor fowl, which caan make it just about right or not. Equiped with a good detachable scope system, it would be a fantastic all rounder. Perfect for lion, fine for leopard, buff, everything else and with good velocity ofr relatively flat trejectory. But not quite ideal for elephant. So for general hunting it would seem super. At the same time, recoil is significant. So I end up wondering why not a 450/400 with the same scope system. Enough for elephant, but even less ideal, fine for all else, maybe a little slow for lion and leopard and for longer ranges, but flat enough. Easy to shoot and if you look, available in a lighter rifle.

FWIW, I went bigger and smaller, with the smaller a 375. I made the choice before becoming adicted to elephant hunting, but now that I am addicted, it seems just about right. Take away the serial elephant hunting and then then the big bore becomes really optional, imo.

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com