Ripp
(.577 member)
22/12/08 07:22 AM
Re: 500/416 experience's

Quote:

So from that I would again assume like the other 416's that it is too big for medium game and too small for big game. Just my opinion of course.

Curious as to what you base your obviously flawed perception on.

You should read the article recently written in this months issue of RIFLE SHOOTER by a gentleman (Ganyana)--who has been in on culls of over 30,000 elephant in his lifetime..and worked 20 plus years for the parks department in Africa...while he promotes the .375 as being an o.k. caliber..he also stated that for larger game--it is a definite step up on shock to the animal..and in his opinion, one of the best choices one could make for a one-rifle safari...with regards to any of the .416's

Secondly, those that do spend a lot of time in the field, PH's, are drifting the way of the 416 in several of the camps I have been too in Africa..guessing, based on the fact they are in the field every day..that might speak of reason and experience as well..

Then there is the PH (Lynn) I visited with from Botswana, who stated the perfect caliber for "their" larger than normal elephant, in his opinion, needs a caliber or 40 or bigger with a velocity of 2300 or more to do the job from any angle..again, his opinion, but with 100 plus under his belt..will heed his words of advice..

Finally there is myself who has shot everything from a duiker to elephant..none requiring a follow up shot.total with a 416 Rem alone is over 30 animals...even though usually pay the insurnace just the same, which I would do if I was shooting a 338 or .577...while I too, have used a .375, will never go back to one after the 416...as stated by my experience as well as all the "experts" I have visited with, the proof is in the pudding, or in this case, the shooting..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com