9.3x57
(.450 member)
21/12/08 12:12 PM
Re: 577..24 vs 26 inch

Quote:

It is not a macho question of being recoil shy, it is the practicality, it will slap you so badly that the quick 2nd shot for which we shoot doubles will be next to impossible.

I do not own any of these biguns, but this reasoning is so sound that I would not ignore it.

I had a 4 lb 12 bore once. It was a 19 inch bbl'd H&R singleshot and though I quit boxing years ago occaisionally I felt like feeling something from the good ole days {getting beatup} so I'd shoo the horses out of the front pasture and take it out on the front yard and run a few rounds of 3-inch mag 00 thru it at chunks of firewood and the like.

I'm not a big guy, but I assure you that this thing would have made Mike Tyson consider the priesthood and had it been a double and I was shooting it, the left barrel could have been left unloaded and probably reloaded faster with a round from the back pocket of my jeans than I could have gotten the spare trigger yanked.

Those that know tell me a .577 is a real He-Man's gun and might very well make my 12 bore lightweight feel like a peck on the cheek from Gramma.

Making a "fightin' gun" fit for a pussy isn't a copout, it's good common sense.

My vote would go for a heavier {though not necessarily LONGER-barreled} gun. I like stubby guns.

Go ahead and make it short if you like, but make it heavy, too.

Just $.02 from a guy who knows enough to get out of the way of a mean bull or a guy bigger than me, but not much more...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com