470Rigby
(.333 member)
21/03/04 04:45 PM
Re: A Question of Value?

urdubob - Boss double rifles ARE exceedingly rare - according to Donald Dallas, the total production of centre-fire hammer rifles in the 1858 - 1890 period (basically - the pre-nitro era) was 75 - during the same period 962 centre-fire hammer shotguns were produced (along 735 pinfire shotguns and 31 pinfire rifles). But this disparity in production between shotguns and rifles merely reflects the very low production of rifles by English makers, and the extra rarity of Boss double rifles is merely a reflection of the low production output of Boss in general prior to it's aquisition by John Robertson in 1891. Even then, rifles were never Boss' forte - but they did produce some of the rarest and most desirable double rifles - based on their U/O action. Now - if you had one of those!!! Unfortunately - I have never seen one of those "in the flesh" - has any on the members I wonder? By the way - has anybody out there seen (or heard!) a Boss magazine rifle??

Insofar as value is concerned - unless there is a Boss collector out there that just has to round out his collection with a Boss double rifle - I'm afraid there is no premium for rarity and your rifle would be be of similar value to any other English double of similar level of finish and condition. If it was in it's original case, with ALL original accessories, it would be worth considerbly more, but you did not indicate whether this was so?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com