Boss577
(.224 member)
06/12/08 04:27 AM
Re: Double Rifle Grease

Hi all,

For what it's worth, here is my two cents worth.

I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic grease on my guns and rifles, and every one that goes out the shop door.

I stress to customers, that quite a few are trap shooters and shoot in hot weather and shoot many rounds, to apply this grease on the bearing points I instruct them on.

One main point I stress is to completely wipe off all old grease/oil /dirt, and apply fresh grease before putting the firearm together before use.

Remember, if not cleaned, you have lapping compound! Dust dirt and whatever in the case and air mixed with old gease just causes problems. I am amazed at the amount of folks that don't lube the hinge on the action and forend hanger. I get too many trap shooter's guns that have excessive wear and gauling one their actions.

Mobil 1 is hard to find in some places. I have a friend pick it up for me, and drop it off while passing though. One tube should last the average guy 2 lifetimes!

I have used the old Birmingham trade lube ( 3 in 1 oil and vasaline ) , for years, but this is just not good enough. It runs in hot weather and the oil varnishes up. Another suggestion is to throw any 3-1 oil away. This stuff turns to gummy varnish, and fast!

I have done some testing in my shop on oils and lubes, and this is what I now use.

Mobil 1 synthetic is red in color, and that is the only thing I do not care for.

There again, just my two cents worth.

Mark

Contact Us NitroExpress.com