DarylS
(.700 member)
17/11/08 09:13 AM
Re: REM/Baikal 45-70, I took the Plunge

Bramble makes a good point - that someone in the future might not handload and shoot appropriate ammo in this re-chambered gun. The way civil litigation works in the States, is the onus falls back on the original owner and gunsmith who re-chambered/altered it, not the gun's manufacturer.

For me to do the job and maintain it's feeding, as with many others, there would never be a problem - iwth appropriate ammo. We all know descent loads suitable for dangerous game could be loaded which would be safe. One need only look at .45 3 1/4" data from Lyman, Hodgdon or AA to see it.

The big question is, considering all, is it wise to re-chamber? A big 'NOT' in my opinion.

The .45/70 itself can easily be loaded to very descent ballistics in the sub-30,000PSI range - almsot 2,000fps with 400gr. will handle anything this side of the big ponds, including grizzlies and browns and most of Africa's offerings. The .45/70 400gr. solid load that Pierce or Barnsness put through 4 cape buffalo shoulders with one shot should prove something - except for those who think such penetration isn't sufficient. That load's velocity is well within this gun's range. Is more needed?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com