farshot
(.300 member)
31/10/08 04:04 AM
Re: REM/Baikal 45-70, I took the Plunge

The Sako and Tikka wil not work on the Baikals. The Baikals are 11 mm dovetails. The same as many air rifles and the BRNO/CZ line of .22 rifles (NOT 3/8" which is the common USA .22 rail standard).

The newer Sakos use an angled dovetail system that is much different. Old Tikkas used a 16mm dovetail system -- also used by BRNO/CZ in their 527 series of rifles. Just for completeness - the BRNO/CZ larger rifles use a 19mm dovetail.

I used a BKL set of rings on my Baikal 30-06 double. They work well as their construction allows them to flex to fit a 11mm rail perfectly.

I will get a set of BRNO/CZ 11 mm dovetail rings when I can as I like them the best.

I put a Dr. Optic dot sight on mine using a base made for the 11mm by one of the European base/ ring makers -- I cant recall which right now. They make bases for the Dr. Optic in Weaver, 11, 16 and 19 mm rails. They also make all the Euro rings and bases in all sizes.

My question to you is : How did you take apart your rifle to stone the triggers.? did you take out the main "star" screw at the base of the action? If so -- how did you get that star screw out? Mine is very very tight and will not budge, even with some heat. Is it a reverse thread?

BTW - mine shoots 180 gr Hornady round nose at 2640 ft/s to 1/2 inch at 50 yds with the optical sight on it. If only I can get that trigger down to something better!

We cant get the 45-70 in Canada for some reason. I wish I could.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com