9.3x57
(.450 member)
29/10/08 11:41 PM
Re: Why NO oil?

I bought a Heym SR20 bolt gun in .375 H&H Mag in the mid-80's.

Took it out in the rain once and the thing grew "hair" all over!

Stock had never been sealed and should have been an embarassment to any gunmaker capable of being embarrassed, which at the time I don't think Heym was...

That gun was such a piece of junk I sent it back and got a SAKO in exchange. I still have that one.

Other problems with that Heym included poor bedding, a cocking piece that followed the bolt down, and then I got a card in the mail from Heym stating something to the effect that a certain number of the welded-on bolt handles were known to fall off. Please send the bolt back and we'll fix it before it breaks.

I sent the whole piece of rubbish back and have never even looked at another Heym SR20 since. Interestingly, the company that sold me the gun didn't balk at swapping it out, and commented that they had had a lot of trouble with that model. I don't think I was the first to complain.

I have since read that some SR20's are good guns, but mine wasn't.

A badly finished stock wasn't the only trouble, but it was certainly a problem of the first order. I guess if a guy is going to leave a gun in a cabinet, who cares what the stock finish is. But for guns that are going to be used, it matters a lot.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com