JPK
(.375 member)
23/09/08 01:18 PM
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-??

9Threexfifty7,

Yes the softs are bonded lead front cores and solid copper shanks and they are driving band bullets. I've been discussing the solids, but hey, a driving band bullet is a driving band bullet. The bonded lead core Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, for example, are taboo for doubles too becuase of their solid shank and lack of driving band design.

No doubt that steel jacketed solids are harder on bores and rifles and jointing and everything than lead cored softs, like Woodleighs for exapmle. I'd rather shoot 20 North Forks than a few Woodleigh solids and twenty Woodleigh solids than even one Barnes or similar.

Nothing is a hard as a Barnes style, imo.

On barrel life, hey, I'm no collector. A double rifle is the perfect rifle, the ultimate tool for elephant hunting. For all other hunting it is an option ranging from ok to great, but for elephants it is THE ultimate and the second choice is far behind. So, if you hunt enough elephants that you break the solder joint or wear out your barrels through hunting and practice, - shooting suitable bullets and not Barnes style - my hat is off to you!!! Get the rifle fixed with new jointing or new barrels and go do it again!

I load develop with solids. Then match my softs to the solids. Why? Because I NEED the solid load and the softs are an occasionally useful accessory.

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com