JPK
(.375 member)
22/09/08 10:35 AM
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-??

First, cape buff need solids from shot number two onward, and deserve it on number 1 in some instances, imo. A big bore solid is never a bad choice for cape buff, first shot or last. It will do exactly what it is supposed to do, every time. Buff die very quickly from well places .458" or better holes in them.

Second, its true that steel jecketed solids are hard on barrels. But with the lead core and rear opening to accomodate compression they are shootable. No matter what H&H says, they don't make 465's, 470's, 500's etc to shoot a tempermental cow. They are made to shoot elephants. A double only comes into its unique position as the perfect and ultimate choice on elephants anyway, imo.

Third, there are two guys on this thread who have shot somwhere between 25 and 30 elephants between them, may well be others - and I'm pretty sure there are - who have also killed their share of elephants, so this isn't an accademic discussion.

Fourth, North Forks and GS Customs are thrown in with "mono solids" but shouldn't be since, especially with the North Forks, the body of the bullets does not engrave, only the thin driving bands - and you've read on this thread GS Custom's garuantee about any double rifle issues. Neither North Fork nor GS Customs are "hard bullets." I would rather shoot twenty North Forks than five Woodleighs. Twenty Woodleighs rather than one Barnes...

Barnes bullets may be under groove diameter in the body, but they are over land diameter in the shoulder and shank. Barnes bullets requirs the body to be engraved, and they are "hard bullets." They are a problem waiting to happen in my opinion. They are surely not driving band bullets and they are not truncated cone flat noses, worst of both worlds, eh?

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com