mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
21/09/08 12:05 AM
Re: Caliber bans in Sudan & India

Gentlemen,

I am not sure about the historical background to these laws but I do know that calibres listed as "prohibited bores" in India (and this included all military calibres that had been used by the various colonial powers in the country ie Britain, France and Portugal and in the Danish settlements of Dansborg, Tranquebar and Sadras which were administered by the British) were and remain banned for general ownership. However - and this is very important - retiring military and police officers were allowed to own them as were people who could get a license from the Central government in Delhi. That is still the case. And my suspicion is that with Indian (and to a lesser extent Pakistani and Bangladeshi laws) being based on British laws in a historical context, ownership was possible to those with connectiuons. There were also concessions given to tribes like the Coorgis of Karnataka and some Sikh communities who were declared "martial races" and were and still are allowed to issue their own licenses to their communities because of their service to the British and later the Indian government in the various wars that they fought in in different parts of the world.

In 1984 the Central government of India put all calibres larger than 8mm on the prohibited bore list but the Indian SUpreme COurt threw those restrictions out about five years ago. Military calibres remain banned, though, and you do not see rifles in these calibres available even to military officers who would be entitled to own them because the import of firearms has been banned since 1984 as well except for target shooters and for Indians who work outside the country for at least 1 year.

Not sure if this confuses the issue or helps.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com