Chasseur
(.375 member)
20/09/08 08:18 AM
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-??

Quote:

The ONLY reason I can think of using a monometal is if you are in an area in which the radical greens have placed restrictions on lead bullets, ie. condor country. No dangerous game there...
I honestly cannot think of a real world benefit to using them in any firearm.

My comment here is a little off topic, but Huvius' remarks hits one of my questions I've been wondering about these past 15 years of bullets and shooting that John Barness raises often on 24hourcampfire:

Are we getting a little to obsessed with quality bullets?

We've gotten to a point where I've read people on internet forums and at the range give lectures on how you can't trust those "old bullets" on whitetails. That you "need" a [fill in the blank with bonded, cup nose, monometal, etc] to take down that deer or boar.

Sure after capebuffalo and elephant, pass the super-duper bullets, but most of the game commonly hunted in North America or Europe?

I've seen a some very nice one shot kills on LARGE black bears with Remington corelokts, and a good brown bear killed with one shot of an 'passe' nosler partition from a 300WM. I know samples of one or a handful, but...

I was hunting with a buddy on some mouflon cull hunts here in Hawaii. The federal game control guys were with us and they shot boars and mouflon all the time, killing several each week for sevearal years. My buddy was really "into" premium bullets at the time and asked the game control guy with us what type of bullets he used. They said Hornady interlocks. My buddy almost rolled his eyes and then proceded to lecture the guy on how "there are a lot of problems with those bullets, and..." The game control guy said, "Hey, I shoot these every day, and the animals die. That's good enough for me."

Again, sorry for the off-topic rant!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com