DarylS
(.700 member)
14/09/08 10:30 AM
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-??

450-366 - yes - pressure for the length of the barrel has been tested in some calibres - I've seen results showing this,, mostly in varmint calibres but never when comparing one bullet 'type' to another ie: Barnes Banded Solids or TSX-type bullets. What hasn't been tested was the "other 1/2 of the quandry" - barrel distortion comparrisons - and they must be comparrisons, not singled out tests showing one side only - comparrisons are needed. Light barrels will probably show the golf-ball-in-a-snake syndrome as the bulelt passes down the tube with all bullets - what is important here, is if this phenominum is worse with banded bullets or not. It's easy to 'think' it is happening more with all mono bulelts, but is it? If worse which I rather doubt it due to the smaller diameter of Barnes bandeds, is it bad enough to cause problems like inverted rifling? What is normal with softs and steel jacketed solids? Yes, yes - lots of questions but few reliable answers that I've seen. Third or forth-hand stories just don't have much basis in fact and can be very damaging to whom ever carries the brunt of it.

I guess I should say that I have no interest in Barnes - no stocks, no double rifle either for that matter. I am interested in justice being served - pro or con. Too many times I've seen one sided ruhmors destroy someone's credibility. Barnes is a home-grown business developed by very nice people who deserve more than suppositions.

The loading I did with them in my .458 bolt gun showed incredibly good results and identical external ballistics to other jacketed bullets of the same weight. Granted, I wasn't using them in a $20,000 (or more) double, but my barrel was just as 'thin' towards the muzzle as many doubles and I experienced no problems with banded 350's running well over 50,000PSI breech pressure. The pressure, of course, is just a guess, but how else do you get 2,400fps with 350gr. from a 2" case?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com