unspellable
(.300 member)
12/03/04 01:29 AM
Re: Accuracy of Double Rifles?

As with any other rifle, some doubles will be good, some poor.

I have seen a 375 H&H Flanged Magnum shoot a 3/8 inch four shot group at 100 yards.

As for plains game or buck, if you look up a list of the old British double cartridges you will find quite a number of small bore high velocity numbers intended for stag or what have you at 200 or 300 yards. The 275 H&H Flanged Magnum being the first one that pops into my head. Some of these rifles may even have been regulated for 200 yards.

Another interesting point is that I have seen a heavy double place four shots in a paper plate at 75 yards faster than a heavy magazine rifle. This was a speed contest, placing the shot anywhere inside the paper plate counted. if the shot touched the edge it did not count. Both shooters allegedly being experts with their respective rifles.

Bottom line is, "Does it shoot better than you do?" I ran into a fellow who looked down his nose at my double because he claimed it wouldn't deliver bench rest accuracy. So when's the last time he went hunting with a bench rest rifle?

I once won a case of beer by going up against a guy with a scoped 30-06 rifle at a hundred yards while I had an iron sighted 6.5 inch S&W 44 Mag with 240 grain cast at 1000 fps. No handicaps either way. I won the case of beer. The difference being that I had been religiously practising with my revolver where as he hadn't been practising with the rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com