500grains
(.416 member)
09/09/08 12:32 PM
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-??

Barnes' marketing seems to be mostly B.S. hype IMO. As for the bullets being undersized, won't that cause gas blowby which will damage the barrel? And from what I have seen of Barnes quality control, I would not count on anything. I had some Barnes .585" solids that each had the cannelure in a different place. I had to reset my crimp for each individual bullet!

In the past Barnes has sold grooved bullets, which I would prefer not to use in a double. If they have indeed switched over to a driving band design (like www.gscustom.co.za), and I am NOT convinced they have, they are only about 15 years late getting on the wagon!

___

Butch, I examined and fired 20 rounds through a Chapuis 470 that was totally buggered. The owner said he had something like 105 rounds or 95 rounds through it from when it was new, and a bunch were brass monometals (not a driving band configuration). I am not a double expert, but it seemed like the action had been stretched. And the rounds were crossing at 20 yards. And the toplever stuck open. The gun looked fabulous but was was pretty well wanked. It was a $12K rifle new and he was willing to sell for $7500. No wonder it was a good deal. I suppose the owner could have been shooting overpressure loads through it, so perhaps that was the cause and not the bullets. ??

Contact Us NitroExpress.com