400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
07/09/08 04:52 PM
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-??

Quote:

Leaving over stressed rifling aside, the issue that should keep DR shooters off Barnes is the issue of breaking the solder joint between the barrels. There own data on obturation points to the potential for trouble.

I agree entirely. No question at all that this is an issue due to the inability to obturate.

Quote:

And if you've ever shot a steel jacketed Woodleigh, you know there is a small lead tit on the base after firing, confirmation that the bullet squeezed down to fit your bore, like the Barnes won't.

Bingo. The slight extrusion at the base confirms compression to fit the bore. Lead core bullets, including steel jacketed, have a compressible core that permits them to do just that. Monos don't, and can't.

Quote:

Broken solder bonds and rejoining rib is not an unrepairable issue or even an expensive one, but why risk it?

I agree, it isn't worth the risk. A failed solder joint is definitely repairable, and I don't disagree at all that, relative to the cost of a double rifle worth buying to begin with, the cost of properly done repairs shouldn't be a blip on the screen, but some might disagree. A loose rib must be stripped off and relaid, which almost always requires re-blacking. Never had to have this done, but a good friend did recently. $1100. If the joint pops on either side of the muzzle wedge, it seems to me that it might also require re-regulation ($600), but I don't know for sure. I know of this happening with a Holland .465 recently, but....I didn't think to ask. I think it bears observing that while loose ribs are repairable, OSR is not.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com