zimhunter
(.333 member)
07/09/08 12:11 PM
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-??

I don't particularly care for Barnes or any other monometal bullet. I'm old fashioned and use Nosler Partitions and when I need solids I use Woodleighs. I would like,however, to question the 'taper' on Woodleigh solids. I'm sitting here looking at a 470 Woodleigh solid I removed from an Elephant I shot in Zimbabwe in 2001. It is SLIGHTLY flattened (it hit ribs on both sides and was found on the offside under,but in the skin). If the bullet has any significent taper it is in FRONT of the crimp groove as the rifling inpressions start approximately 1/16" in front of the crimp groove and extend completely to the rear to the base. They appear to be of equal depth thru a magnifying glass. This is at least 13/16ths of an inch on a bullet approximately 1 3/8ths overall. The ogive of the bullet seems to start immediately in front of the crimp groove. I just miked 5 new unfired woodleigh 470 bullets (500gr FMJ) and get less than a half a thousandth difference from the crimp groove to the base. I can't believe any taper they have is of any significence. There is a protrusion of lead at the base of approximately 3/16" diameter and less than a 1/16' high indicating to me the bullet was significently compressed. This bullet was from a Federal factory load.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com