Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
23/07/08 09:51 AM
Re: Proof loads

One of the biggest problems with converting a shotgun to any rifle caliber is that somewhere out there is a nitwit just waiting to cram one of his hotloaded "Homeloads" into your nicely converted rifle, just because it will fit in the chamber. That is the reason that all of these need to be marked and hopefully built to hold up to ANY factory loads that are available. This is also why, for years any 45/70 loads that could be bought in any hardware store, were largely downloaded, because there were many weak 45/70's still out there that could blow with a modern, hotter loading.
444's are loaded quite a bit hotter than what I load in the converted 45/70's.
I know of one nut here locally that almost blew up his Marlin 444 with overloaded handloads. He was using a bullet that was way overweight and then added more fast powder to offset for the heavier bullets. I went out to see him one Saturday morning and found him filing .100 inch off the ends of his cases so he could crimp the heavier bullets. Left full length, they wouldn't chamber in his gun! Some people could blow up ANY gun if left to their own devices long enough. Bob H.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com