DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
02/03/04 11:30 AM
Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles

In reply to:

It seems to me that a properly constructed spring type extractor such as is used in the Ruger #1 single shot were applied to the DR, and as long as nearly straight-walled cases were used, (.458 WM, .458 Lott, .458x3" Express,etc) were used, and the best load accuracy-wise was used, rather than the most vicious, was used to regulate the arm in the first place, then the arm would surely be as trust-worthy as the various rimmed choices, and a whole lot cheaper to feed!!

The Ruger No1 ejector is very reliable, I agree! IMO, however, the ejecting of the cartridge is not the main problem, though it is a concearn! The problem with chambering a double rifle to a high pressure cartridge, is the reliability of the rifle it's self! Even the 450NE 3 1/4" is getting up there in pressure for a double, at around 40,000 cup. As sure as the sun rises, someone will try to use the double with factory ammo, or the loads offered in load books, thinking since it is so chambered, the loads will be OK! They will not be, especially in a converted 12 ga shotgun. The three chamberings you mention above, 458 WM, 458 LOTT, and 450x3" all will generate upwards of 60,000 cup, if factory, or standard loads are used!

In reply to:

I'm currently planning to build my first double-rifle, using one of the stronger side-lock or box-lock American 12-bore actions as the base. I intend to chamber this arm for something like the 45-120, 450#2, 50-140, or the like, but have thought long and hard about the .458x3" Express, simply for the fact that a fellow should be able to come upon an easily regulated load with a 500-grainer at around 2200 f.p.s. in a very low pressure load, due to the extra case capaccity.

The 45-120, 450#2 NE, or 50-140, should be OK if you use a very strong shotgun action. I'm not sure I agree that an American made shotgun is as strong as many of the Europian actions! The problem with many shotguns is they do not have very well fitted lock-ups, and many times become "SELF OPENERS"! The 458X3" developing 2200 fps with a 500 gr bullet will certainly be pushing the envelope where pressure is concearned! The box locks will be stronger, in most cases. The sidelocks have a lot of wood removed in the wrist area of the stock, the weakest part of the stock, and most side lock actions made in the USA are bar actio side-lock, and this is the weakest type of action among doubles! In any event, when you finish the rifle, stamp a "MAX LOAD" on the flats, and on the rib just ahead of the chambers, and make sure anyone you sell this rifle to, is made aware of it's limitations!

I think if you stick with the old sharps, and such, and stick with proper smokeless, for black powder loadings for them, you will be OK! You will be quite suprised at what some of those old cartridges will do on things like Moose, and bear!

My advice is tread lightly, with chamber pressures! Only one load that is too high can destroy the rifle, and God forbid, your head, or hands!

All this is only one man's opinion, and worth exactly what you are paying for it, to anyone but me!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com