9.3x57
(.450 member)
23/05/08 10:42 PM
Re: Lead sled and stocks

Mickie, sorry I missed you. Sure! Hot days in April when the males are out in force and before the grass and brush grows are the best on my place. We got a late start this year due to snow but shot near 100 in April, and now we are at 100 even for the year. Slow 1's and 2's from here on in. Quite literally, the varmint rifle gives way to light .22 stalking rifle, shotgun, and even pistol from here on out.

I have no doubt that a stock CAN be broken in a solid unmoveable rest. As stated, witness military problems with rifle grenades and rifles. I suspect a lot has to do with the stock.

I would not want to shoot a rifle with a hard, horn buttplate or something similar from an unmoveable rest that had no padding or give to the rest. Seems obvious. But it seems that the use of these things successfully by many involves the incorporation of a few common-sence protections against breakage; padding for the butt and/or recoil pad, allowing the rest to give, etc.

As for zero, I would sure like to see somebody shoot my experiment.

Like Paul, my hunch is that it this sort of stuff sounds clearcut in theory but will vary from gun-to-gun, even including doubles. I bet there are some doubles out their that exhibit all the "theoretical" characteristics, and some that don't, and some in the middle. I always enjoy putting theory to the test, which has prompted me to do a lot of shooting monkeybusiness. I hope we have another fellow gun nut here that could expose the realities of this issue. would be fascinating to see it on paper.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com