9.3x57
(.450 member)
22/05/08 05:53 AM
Re: Lead sled and stocks

Good point, Spring. An interesting thread.

It is always easy for hobbiests to criticise the use of this gizmo or that, but I find it very interesting to read here {and the other post on bench shooting} that the Brit and Continental gunmakers use supports of one ilk and persuasion or another, recoil-reducing or not.

The truth is, when money is on the table, screwing around with sport goes right out the window. Fun is fun, but money is money. I can relate.

For myself, I had 30,000 trees we planted and two stockpond dikes threatened by little diggers, and I have made every attempt to eliminate "sport" from my efforts to eradicate them. Poison was contemplated except for cost and water concerns. After a logged-in 593 kills in the 100 acre part of the ranch here where these activities have gone on, I believe I may be rounding the bend. I hope so. In smaller colonies elsewhere on the place I was able to erradicate them entirely, but this one has been a challenge and may continue to be due to migration from a neighboring ranch.

Relevant to this thread, I suspect a few more kills might have been made had I used this sled thing from the git-go. It is a good, solid rest. Maybe not, as my rest affair, tho crude, has worked reasonably well and is as unsporting as I could possibly make it.

My homegrown affair has been retired tho, and I'm glad to have the Caldwell sled that has now taken its place. To those who need a portable and very solid rest for shooting similar to what I do here, I can heartily recommend it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com