mstarling
(.224 member)
26/02/04 04:41 PM
Re: Do you use your Double rifle as general use gu

Ray,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually the human eye can't give sharpest focus to two objects at the same time that are a significant distance apart. The eye changes focus for range by changing its shape. This is called accomodation and is aided by musculature and assumes some mechanical characteristics that do change with age. Generally, one is less able to accomodate with age.

If I remember my high power coaching and the pre-optics age of IPSC, the idea of iron sights is to look thru the rear sight and sharp the focus on the front sight. This will leave the target slightly blurred.

That was fine when I was younger. About age 50 the resolution of my vision at distance when the front sight is in focus began to change. (Technically, resolution is the ability to resolve two close points.) At this age (58 more or less) I cannot see a two inch dot at 100 yards when focusing on a front sight. Sad but true.

The optical sight tends to improve the situation by placing the image of the target and the image of the aiming point (the reticle) in the same or very nearly the same focal plane. Thus the need for the ability to accomodate is lessened.

What I first noticed when going back to the irons on the Searcy is that I had gotten lazy with my seeing. It took some time to re-learn how to use iron sights. I think that has occurred and I'm probably OK with that rifle to 75 yards or so for relatively quick work on larger game. However, I'll not stress that in the field until I have had another years practice with the rifle.

I agree that trigger control is of utmost importance. We see more difficulties with that than anything else when folks are using optical sights.

Finally, optical sights need not be slow. In world open class "practical" handgun (racegun) competition which stresses speed and accuracy, iron sights have given way to what amount to heads up displays and they can be very, very fast (even on moving targets). I suspect a DGR with a C-More or a Holoscope would be very effective in the field ... if it were not for the risk of losing batteries at the wrong time ;>)

I cannot deny that a double rifle with iron sights is an awesome weapon in close quarters. I have been amazed to find that they can also be darned good at longer ranges. And for me at 100 to 200 yards that suggests a scope. It may not fit your sensibilities ... but it does work for me. And as long as I can safely hunt I'll use technology to improve or lengthen my time left in the field.

My Best,

mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com