Ripp
(.577 member)
06/04/08 12:54 AM
Re: Federal .470 Nitro loads chronographed

Quote:

I reloaded all my 470 loads with Reloader 15 and dacron filler and had perfect ignition and my Merkel regulated perfectly with it. I pulled the bullets on two Federal rounds and weighed the charge and it was exactly the same as the load I was using. The powder had tha appearance of being the same as RL15 and I went so far as to measure the diameter and length of the grains and actually took them to the lab where I had access to very precision scales and in all three areas length,diameter and weight they were exactly the same as RL15. From this I personally concluded they WERE RL15 and as I understand it Alliant Powder and Federal are both owned by ATK (Alliant Techsystems) which would make sense they use each others products. I don't think you can go wrong with this combination but it woud be nice to get the hotter primers as the white Dacron is disconcerting when you shoot on the range. In actual hunting use you never see it. I don't own and have never used a chronograph and have never missed it and really don't see the need for it. Don't yell, I know I'm in the very small minority.

I Have gone to using Kynoch's foam wads per advise from 400Nitro--works very well and has sped up the reloading process..

As to the chronograph--each to their own but in the real world I can't see how you can reload and NOT use one--it will tell you more than just the speed of your bullet--and...if you shoot at extended ranges you need to know the exact speed of the bullet to know how to either adjust your scope accordingly or where to hold ...either way, I used them quite a bit..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com