atkinson6
(.375 member)
26/02/04 04:58 AM
Re: Do you use your Double rifle as general use gun??

Mstarling,
The human eye cannot focus on three objects at the same time,only two...Therefore either the rear sight, front sight or the target is going to blur...The accepted method is to have a clear sight picture and a blurred target..amazingly enough this works, not to say that the scope is not a better method at long distances, it is....and because of that one must learn and know his limits with irons, just as one must also know his limits with a scope, or the capabilities of his rifle or his shooting ability...

I feel pretty confident with a shallow V at 200 yards and pretty confident with a peep at 300 yards on standing broadside shots with a rest...

I feel confident with all three sighting arrangments shooting offhand at up to 150 yds. and perhaps 200 yards under some circumstances..I give a scope a 100 yard advantage and limit myself to 400 yards max with a scope, and then only with a rest....

At 100 yards offhand I shoot iron sights or peep better than a scope, I have proven that to myself on many ocassions. I suppose its the magnified wiggle of the scope that tends to sabotage me, and with the irons I cannot see this wiggle so I concentrate 99% on trigger pull..

Trigger pull btw is the catalist to all shooting with any sight set up, especially off hand..I have a controlled jerk,flinch or whatever you want to call it but it seems to work for me .

As to your not qualifying and should you quit hunting IMO, I think not, simply do your best and do whatever works for you..that is what I do...I only speak for myself in all my posts and do not inflict my will on others...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com