empirevr
(.375 member)
09/06/07 07:12 AM
gunsmith recommendations

US based good prices, knows how to restore old guns yes i.e. double rifles, and also how to line barrels and repair action face.

Many thanks,

Ben

dnovo
(.333 member)
09/06/07 08:17 AM
Re: gunsmith recommendations

JJ at Champlain Arms in Enid Okla. Dave

BigFiveJack
(.333 member)
09/06/07 01:59 PM

www.champlinarms.com

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
09/06/07 02:46 PM

Quote:

www.champlinarms.com

JJ is so backed up - its til the cows come home, good luck.

bonanza
(.400 member)
09/06/07 08:55 PM

This is when I hijack this thread.

This brings up the Dark-Side of owning a vintage firearm that never gets airtime. There are a handfull of smiths who can do justice on a fine double rifle, hence one has to have the patinece of a monk if something goes wrong. Why, they are so backed-up with god-damn shotgun repairs.

With a new firearm, you can send it to the factory and have it back in 3 - 6 months.

There is your trade-off. Vintage rifles are great untill the break.

Ripp
(.577 member)
10/06/07 01:37 AM

I have visited recently with Ken Owen out of Moscow, TN--901-877-6853 --he was referred to me by the Westley Richards shop here in Bozeman. I sent a W/R 470 to him to have it looked at as I plan to take it along on my next trip to Africa.. WR has told me he has done quite a bit of work for them and they are very satisfied.

Another gentleman I visited with who is suppose to be very qualified as well is Nick Tooth out of Ozark, Missouri--417-581-4570---supposedly, by those I have visited with, he does excellent work.

Will advise once I get mine back as to the quality

Thank you

Ripp

Ripp
(.577 member)
10/06/07 01:39 AM

This brings up the Dark-Side of owning a vintage firearm that never gets airtime. There are a handfull of smiths who can do justice on a fine double rifle, hence one has to have the patinece of a monk if something goes wrong. Why, they are so backed-up with god-damn shotgun repairs.

Both of the smiths I mentioned earlier said I will have it back within 2 to 3 months max--maybe soon..just FYI

thx
Ripp

AkMike
(.416 member)
10/06/07 09:04 AM

Another one is Keith Kearcher from Oregon. I haven't used him but he has a good word of mouth reputation.

http://members.toast.net/keithkearcher/

empirevr
(.375 member)
11/06/07 10:00 AM

Many thanks all.

Tried JJ no mail reply, and that is no help as i need to send photos via mail.

Kearcher's blasted mail isnt working.

Ripp can you give me email addresses please?

Many thanks

Ben

Ripp
(.577 member)
11/06/07 01:14 PM

Sorry I don't have email addresses for either however I was able to speak with each of them every time I have called--however I have only spoken with them a couple of times..
please use the phone numbers shown on my previous memo--thx
Ripp

400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
12/06/07 03:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

www.champlinarms.com

That's because he's good.

I recommend J. J. Avoid Kearcher.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
12/06/07 04:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

www.champlinarms.com

That's because he's good.

I recommend J. J. Avoid Kearcher.

No shit Sherlock.

empirevr
(.375 member)
12/06/07 07:27 AM

Well thanks folks.....

Kearcher has given up on me, saying he wont take it on due to chamber face pits, sheesh, can anyone explain how the hell this can weaken the action??? Sorry ok i am stupid, however.....seems that weld or solder a plate on or whatever, its just steel being kicked backwards into a lot more steel is it not??? same strength as ever is it not????

I need smiths i can mail photos to, otherwise things become complex.......

Thanks

Ben

bonanza
(.400 member)
12/06/07 08:14 AM

Did you know that JJ builds race cars and is very active in SCCA sports car racing? This eats up much of his time, that along wiht god-damn shotguns.

Ripp
(.577 member)
12/06/07 09:33 PM

Again, I would call the two gentleman I mentioned--they come highly recommended--
thx
Ripp

mickey
(.416 member)
12/06/07 10:14 PM

I am not sure but I have heard by some people I trust that JJ has too many unqualified 'helpers'. I think one would be too many.

Is this true? Does he not do all the work himself anymore?

empirevr
(.375 member)
16/06/07 08:39 AM

Ripp ok thanks im in touch with Nick.

Whether or not he can/wishes to turn sh*t into gold is another matter......

Ben

Ripp
(.577 member)
17/06/07 02:01 AM

EMPIREVR

Just FYI--I just got my Westely Richards Boxlock 470 NE--back from Ken Owen--he had it for about 3 weeks--Ken set my triggers, smoothen the opening latch, tightened the wood, replaced rear sight, and shot it using his own load of RL 15--89 Grs with Woodleigh Softs--left barrel cut off about 1/4 of right barrels bullet hole--so it is shooting awesome---total cost---$370. Gun looks and feels like new--pretty pleased with his work, helpfulness and willingness to discuss all aspects of a double including reloading..

Ken also does most of the work for Westley Richards here in the US--Their office is only about 5 minutes from mine which make it quite convenient but quite costly as well..

Thank you--and let me know how it works out for you once it is done..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com