4seventy
(Sponsor)
22/03/05 09:54 PM
Marcel Thys

In the latest Hatari Times, the #19 issue, Harold Wolf mentions that Marcel Thys is not in business anymore.
Anyone heard anymore about it?

new_guy
(Sponsor)
23/03/05 02:11 AM
Re: Marcel Thys

Kinda, as I hear it from G&H - he's been teaching for some time now, but I believe that G&H still gets guns from him.

Sounds to me like he may not officially be in business, but may be producing a few guns for regular customers... but that's purely speculation. I have no confirmed way of knowing.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
23/03/05 02:28 AM

His website has been shut down. No idea if that is an indication of his closing down his business?

ArnoldB
(.300 member)
24/03/05 12:50 AM

Marcel Thys retired.
Didier Thys teaches stock making to the 7th year and evening class.
Eric Thys should be selling cartridges and selling guns at clay grounds.
I wouldn't be surprised though if they still turn out a few guns though as new_guy mentioned.

Arnold

ArnoldB
(.300 member)
17/04/05 04:43 AM

Actually been told today Marcel still does some work but only what he can handle from a different source then from who I got the above, but without his sons.

Arnold

mickey
(.416 member)
17/04/05 09:43 AM

Thys had a burglary at their shop about 3 years ago. They lost all of the unfinished and finished rifles that were there. The only ones saved were ones at regulating, colouring etc.

This put them in a hole they couldn't get out of as most of the guns had at least half of the amount already paid and spent. They made good on all of the ordered guns even though they had to start over with their savings. It took about 2 years and I'm not sure they are done yet.

Marcel is only 62 and is semi retired. At one time he owned the Browning Engravers. He still dabbles as does Eric who did most of the fitting. Diedier does stocks and teaches, and Corrine still engraves and is becoming quite good.

I think that eventually Marcel Thys and Sons will be back but not for awhile yet. I would guess Marcel is finished for good though.

500grains
(.416 member)
18/04/05 05:59 AM

I wonder what a burglar will do with 1/2 finished Thys rifles? There are not so many people in the world capable of finishing them, so those pieces will have little street value.

mickey
(.416 member)
18/04/05 08:24 AM

The suspect was an ex worker. They believe his sole purpose was revenge, not profit.

I'm not sure if charges were ever brought. I should find out.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com