Well_Well_Well
(.333 member)
30/05/15 08:07 AM
Cerakote on a double - sacrilege or sense?

Discuss.

Postman
(.375 member)
30/05/15 09:59 AM
Re: Cerakote on a double - sacrilege or sense?

This is an interesting notion. I LOVE my doubles. They are true works of art in their own right. I contemplate how they would look if they were made of stainless, vs rust prone blueing. My Heyms are somewhat susceptible to the first signs of rust formation on the barrels whereas the receivers are dull nitrided finish, (I think... or is it stainless, or nickel or whatever?). Point is, maybe I would hunt in rainy climates with my doubles if if wasnt worried about damaging them. They still could be fine works of art, complete with hand engraving, gold inlays, absolutely perfect fit and finish, and not so much worry about walking through the Canadian northern wilderness which in the fall hunting season is almost always more damp than not. It would be one hell of a setup for western browns, and would be great in eastern moose country. The one part I struggle with is " what about the lumber?"......... Should it be a fine piece of walnut, ripe for the bleaching effects of nasty weather, or should one move toward a soulless laminate, or god forbid, "tupperware"?.......... Ugh. this is a slippery slope!!

stug
(.275 member)
30/05/15 01:46 PM

On a modern double such as Heym, Merkel why not. On a classic double, definetly not.

AkMike
(.416 member)
30/05/15 02:05 PM

Why hide the beauty? Just put a couple of coats of a good automotive paste wax on it. I use Johnson's.

Well_Well_Well
(.333 member)
30/05/15 05:30 PM

Ive been contemplating a merkel and frankly once I get sights sorted a Cerakote is a very strong option.

I also have an older English shotgun that is difficult to keep rust away from. I've been considering one of the deep blues, but can't quite bring myself to do it.

I don't believe there are any issues with the structure of either, but somehow.......

Dunno.

Postman
(.375 member)
30/05/15 11:11 PM

Quote:

Why hide the beauty? Just put a couple of coats of a good automotive paste wax on it. I use Johnson's.

Automotive paste wax? Right over the blueing? I've always just rubbed them with gun oil which of course washes off in the rain. I'll give the wax a try!!!

Jim_C
(.300 member)
31/05/15 03:33 AM

Be sure you use a "wax", not a "cleaner wax". The "cleaner waxes" typically contain a fine abrasive that may damage the bluing.

ozhunter
(.400 member)
31/05/15 05:59 PM

I think it's a perfect finish for a pro for the tropical North.
Worth seeing if it's ok to remove if the time comes for a change back to blue

nopride2
(.300 member)
01/06/15 12:43 AM

I use Johnson's floor wax.

Dave

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
02/06/15 11:36 AM

Quote:

I think it's a perfect finish for a pro for the tropical North.
Worth seeing if it's ok to remove if the time comes for a change back to blue

I don't think it is easy to remove. Plus wonder how soldering for re-regulation would go.

I have a rifle that has been cerakoted and is very durable.

JabaliHunter
(.400 member)
02/06/15 08:46 PM

I think we'll start to see more DLC (Diamond-Like-Carbon) coatings being used for high-end guns and rifles.

Yochanan
(.375 member)
06/06/15 07:31 AM

Have the barrels nitred black or black chromed are also good alternatives.

I used wax on my shotguns as protection against saltwater - works very well.

mchughcb
(.333 member)
12/08/15 04:14 AM

Have had my Sauer drilling done. Looks fantastic and is surviving the elements. Has worn of on the hook where it attaches to the action and where the claw mounts attach but otherwise looks lije a new blazer barrel finish.

Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
12/08/15 08:24 AM

I used it on one economy double and it gives a good weatherproof coating that doesn't shine too much. Bob

Contact Us NitroExpress.com