CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
21/05/10 05:30 PM
Sabatti D.R. Update

Hi Everyone,

There has been a lot of interest of late in the Sabatti Double Rifles and everyone who has looked at the site NitroX was kind enough to supply now has 5 models in various calibres to choose from. The Australian Agents, SH-Shooting www.shshooting.com.au had imported 3 for the Sydney Shot Show which will be held on the 5th & 6th June 2010.

There will be only two on display a .500 N.E. 3" and a .450 N.E. 3 1/4" with others due in September but if a specific calibre is requested, it can be added to this order if done shortly. Some of the next shipment is already spoken for but if you require more information contact Mr Stephen Haberman on 0412 300 011

You may be asking what has happened to the third rifle that was Imported, well I purchased it today, a .450 N.E. 3 1/4". The photos are not 100% but will give you an idea of the rifle.

I hope that you find them enjoying,

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
21/05/10 05:59 PM
Re: Sabatti D.R. Update

What price are they selling for in Aust?

PM me if you wish.

Ben
(.400 member)
21/05/10 09:18 PM

I'd also be interested to know the price. Congratulations on your new double rifle!

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
21/05/10 09:37 PM

Hi Ben,

The RRP is $9,300 with Ejectors and $8,500 with Extractors. They may not be a H&H but a serviceable hunting weapon. As I said to John, the .500 is regulated with Norma, the .450 is regulated with Kynoch. Both are For Sale at the moment but can not be picked up until after the Sydney Shot Show on June 5th & 6th 2010.

And thanks Ben for the congratulations, all I have to do is work out the loads as Kynoch is not available I believe.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

AkMike
(.416 member)
22/05/10 06:50 AM

I haven't shot the Kynoch ammo but I've heard it's slower than Hornady. Right? I'd try about 90 grns of IMR 4831 for a starter. My Sauer shotgun conversion and the Searcy seem to like 96 grns with 500's.
That has some nice figure in nthe stock. So what sort of a critter is supposed to be on that top lever? Wolf? Dog? I haven't been able to tell from any pictures. The lazer engraving looks pretty nice from the pictures also!
Congratulations on that rifle!

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
22/05/10 09:23 AM

Hi AkMike,

Thanks for the info and the congratulations. I think that it may be a "Bloodhound" nose to the ground and the bum in the air. I have sent you a PM re the loads.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

AkMike
(.416 member)
22/05/10 09:44 AM

Really? I hope that dog hunts for you!
PM answered.

Bill_Cooley
(.300 member)
22/05/10 12:14 PM

Congratulations on your new rifle. Let us know how it shoots.
Bill

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
22/05/10 12:39 PM

Hi Bill,

I will post a report once I get the ammo side sorted out as we do not have an Australian Agent for Kynoch I believe but have sent a request to them for detailed info on what and how much they use.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

ozhunter
(.400 member)
27/06/10 04:39 PM

Maybe you can find out from Sabatti what velocity they got from the rifle using the Kynoch ammo and then reproduce it with hand loads.
480grn Woodleighs would be the go no doubt.

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
27/06/10 05:29 PM

Hi Ozhunter,

Thanks for the thought. I have already contacted David Little of Kynamco who said to contact Graeme Wright as he had "almost" replicated the load and Graeme Wright said in an Email to me that 92gns of AR2209 gave him the same velocity as the Kynamco
( 2125 fps ) and I have my 480gn Woodleigh's next to me which is what Kynamco used in the gun-room ready to load so hopefully it will be very close.

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

ozhunter
(.400 member)
27/06/10 05:48 PM

Sounds like you are almost set for an African hunt, mate.

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
27/06/10 06:15 PM

Still a little further to go but getting closer.

Cheers,

Jeff

RLI
(.375 member)
27/06/10 06:19 PM

Do these Sabatti rifles have a third bite or disc set strikers/firing pin? hard to see from the pics

Ron_Vella
(.333 member)
28/06/10 10:56 AM

The animal on the pierced top lever is a fox. I was told that by Gabriele Sabatti himself while I ate lunch with him at the EXA 2010 show in Toronto last week. The Sabatti does not have a third bite. It does have disc-set strikers. All barrels are hammer-forged chrome-moly steel. The actions are machined out of a forging of best-quality modern steel. The actions on the two guns that I handled last week, one a .45-70 and the other a .470 NE, closed up like a bank vault. Fit and finish is absolutely remarkable for a gun in this price range!

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
28/06/10 11:47 AM

Hi Ron,

Personally, thanks for the info on the Fox as I had thought that it was a Blood Hound based on the rump in the air in a tracking style pose. As you have seen in my postings, I love the Sabatti and have said openly that it is a first class Double Rifle.

I was having a think on the weekend and hope that "One Day" they may bring out a .303 British instead of the .30 Blaser, Boy would that be popular and if you ever get a chance to speak to Gabriel again drop a subtle hint, I know that I would go for a second one if they did.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
28/06/10 02:47 PM

IMO the barrels on the 9.3 x 74R are a touch thin toward the muzzles. (sighted and handled same at SHOT show)

doubleriflejack
(.333 member)
29/06/10 03:26 AM

Yes, this model Sabatti has disc set strikers, bushed firing pins, nicely made and nicely installed. No, they don't have a third fastener at all, only Purdey double underbolt. With modern alloy steel, such as this action is made from, no third fastener is required at all, unlike steels used in earlier days for double rifle actions. Other makers, such as Chapuis, don't use third fastener either. The German modern day double rifle makers pretty much stand alone in still using the third fastener, the Greener crossbolt, as they went for it in a big way many years ago, before WWI, and still don't want to move away from it, it seems.

ozhunter
(.400 member)
29/10/10 07:18 PM

Anything new mate?

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
29/10/10 09:57 PM

Hi Ozhunter,

The Sabatti should be home in the next week or so along with "Father" the .375 H&H CZ550 which is about finished.

The Sabatti has had the Recknagel bases cut into the rib and the normal 30mm H7 mounts used with the Leupold 1.5-5 x 20 scope mounted.

Alex found that 88.5Gns of AR2209 with the 480Gn Woodleigh's and 215 Magnum Primers was the best load as typical of the Sabatti's, the barrels cross and this was the least amount of cross as with any higher powder loads the problem became worse. The final outcome was 4 shots, 2 right, 2 left into the size of a clay target at a 100 yards which is more than acceptable.

I am really looking forward to receiving them back and I have the stock for "Son" the 30.06 ready to send down to Alex as he has the metalwork already which is about to go and be Rust Blued and it to should be home for Christmas so I will have my firearm family "Home for Christmas"

Cheers for now Mate,

Jeff

AkMike
(.416 member)
30/10/10 12:20 AM

It's going to be a wonderful Christmas with the whole family together at last!
Congratulations!

tinker
(.416 member)
30/10/10 03:39 AM

Send that .303 Brit message down the pipe to Sabatti management.
Build it in the 'basic rifle' configuration, sell it at the sub-$4kUSD range, and ship them in bulk!!

Cheers
Tinker

GroovyMike
(.300 member)
30/10/10 06:09 AM

Thanks for sharing !

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
30/10/10 06:08 PM

As I see it if someone prefers a conventional top lever then detach same. Build up the "offending area" with metal, reprofile and chequer. Robert's yer father's brother!

Ben
(.400 member)
30/10/10 06:13 PM

That is good news, Jeff!

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
30/10/10 06:42 PM

Hi Ben,

Thanks, I was just answering Ozhunter, however, when I was speaking to Alex he some how thought that he had to bed the rifle and when I said "What" he said "That's right, it is Ben's that I have to bed" he is very busy as you know and got all the CZ's mixed up....

Hi Kamilaroi,

Sabatti supply a grooved block that fits over the rib and on the other side there is a 3/8th dovetail but it made it look like a Lego set, hence what I done.

As for your idea of building up the offending part, remember it is a rib that is soldered between and too both barrels so I think it would need to be done at the manufacturing stage for it to look right and still keep the barrels regulated. As for the last bit " Robert's yer father's brother" you have me there, my father is dead and none of his brothers was named Robert.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
30/10/10 09:49 PM

^ I'm talking abt the top lever.
Lastly "Bob's yer uncle".

Karl
(.275 member)
12/12/10 07:29 AM

how is it the yanks paid 5-6k and we pay 8-9k- yet our dollar has been roughly 1-1 since this gun came about. Or am I missing something...

AkMike
(.416 member)
12/12/10 10:32 AM

"The rip and gouge factor", depending on which dollar you're useing. Maybe it for all the extra sun screen needed for your 'Global Hotspot".

Canada's cheaper than the US for Sabatti's.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
12/12/10 10:48 AM

Could be a difference in import tariffs. But I sure don't know.

Curl

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
12/12/10 11:59 AM

Possibly the amount of rifles ordered by Cabella Vs Australian Importer ?? he would only order a small amount in comparison as he only keeps a few in stock.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

Karl
(.275 member)
12/12/10 03:08 PM

Except Canada is getting it even cheaper than the yanks. And I don't remember seeing the price of any regular Sabatti products dropping as our dollar started beating up on the USD and Euro...

Basically we are getting ripped off as usual gents.

As to global hotspots AkMike, is Afghanistan hot enough for you

AkMike
(.416 member)
12/12/10 04:59 PM

Yes it is! Way to hot for this cold weather boy! But I hear that the winters there do get cold. My brother was there doing EOD recently.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com