NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
17/02/10 02:14 PM
Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust

From another forum:

The word has it that the APMC (Aust Police Ministers Council) agenda for a meeting in Hobart includes proposals to ban pump action rifles and large calibers like .338 Lapua, .50 BMG and any heavy cal guns, not too sure what happens to sundry assorted pumpkin roller calibres like 45-70, plus all the old Express Rifles an Elephant guns etc.

I only have minimal info on this but it would seem the push is coming from WA & SA.

Reportedly it is NOT a rumour. The meeting was held yesterday or today.

(Sorry for posting this in the DR forum but it is an extremely important issue for us)

Empire375
(.300 member)
17/02/10 02:59 PM
Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust

I ordered a Barrett 98 Bravo for this very reason. I'm told 338 Lapua is already banned in SA and it would be coming to Vic soon. I don't believe this has anything to do with the older calibers.
I was told from a knowing source (the badged variety) that it will be harder to get long range military calibers.
I think pump rifles are gone also.
I was advised to get in soon ...........

9.3x57
(.450 member)
17/02/10 03:06 PM

Good job for posting, John.

To all of you in OZ who might be inclined to "OK" the banning of some gun type you don't happen to use or like, just remember, it's only time before they get to yours.

Empire375
(.300 member)
17/02/10 03:22 PM

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums//viewtopic.php?p=284682&sid=a3c99efd91e7e00be6ed24d2e50f9348

This may go some way towards some kind of "reasoning".
I have also applied for a permit to purchase a 50CAL rifle in Victoria. The only requirement I had from the police was a letter from the Military Rifle club saying what a nice fella I was and that they were happy for me to use it at their range (Eagle Park).
I may not make myself popular here but I will say that I can understand this. Both the 338 and 50 Cal frighten pilots (I'm one) and I guess that the ability to reach out to huge distances would appeal to the morons among us.

DGR375
(.300 member)
17/02/10 04:41 PM

I must support you, Empire. It easy to understand the unease that certain Police forces have with certain calibres. That is why the SSAA must be proactive, and make sure the right sort of person is used to interact with the police.

mickey
(.416 member)
17/02/10 04:55 PM

So have a lot of planes been shot up as they fly around over there?

Any of you guys wanting to get rid of your .50+ Cal Doubles just need to PM me.

Empire375
(.300 member)
17/02/10 05:24 PM

I fly out of Moorabbin and have seen two aircraft land with bullet holes that were not there when they departed! Both times they have been .22 however. It does prove to me however that there are "people" like that out there though.
I hope this dosnt happen - please dont get me wrong! I've ordered my own dont forget. Just being devils advocate is all.
It is interesting to note that both pilots were unaware that they had been shot at. I figured it would make some noise on impact but apparently not the case.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
17/02/10 07:12 PM

Unless you are a terrorist what on earth sort of moron would shoot at a plane ??????? rgds, Mike

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
18/02/10 09:37 AM

Quote:

So have a lot of planes been shot up as they fly around over there?

No!

Quote:

I fly out of Moorabbin and have seen two aircraft land with bullet holes that were not there when they departed! Both times they have been .22 however.

Obviously evidence of a .50 calibre ban being needed, all those .22 holes.

Quote:

It does prove to me however that there are "people" like that out there though.

It proves to me that there is too many immature morons with .22s and nothing about guys buying far more expensive .50 "sniper" target rifles.

Similar to someone saying lets ban samurai swords because imagine the damage someone could do with one, due to someone being stabbed with a apple peeling knife a couple of times.

"Imagine if some idiot like that got hold of a samurai sword! Ban them!"

tophet1
(.400 member)
18/02/10 12:06 PM

In the early '80's I was stationed at Holsworthy Army base (near Sydney Australia) and there were limited times/dates we could do live firing with our M2 .50 Brownings. The reason given was that richocets were a danger to civilian aircraft flying into and out of Kingsford Smith on certain flight paths.

No doubt the paper ballistics produced a danger and anecdotal gossip was that an incident, without fatality had occured in the past.

No doubt something like this will be used to justify the ban as well as the threat of divisive elements getting their hands on weapons capable of long range material disruption.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
18/02/10 12:16 PM

I read somewhere that there was some sort of ban on machetes in Australia.

Is that true or BS?

mickey
(.416 member)
18/02/10 01:14 PM

We have occasional problems with people, usually drunk kids, shinning lasers into cockpits of landing planes at SEA-TAC International Airport.

I haven't heard of anyone shooting at planes with high powered rifles around here. I used to here stories in Alaska of Guides popping a few at other guides flying two near them in their bush planes though.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
18/02/10 01:32 PM

I have been informed that there is a real risk of this happening in SA.

ie targeting the .338 Lapua and similar cartridges/rifles.

This has been the case for a while.

BUT the new risk is calibres such as the .375 H&H Mag and above FACE REAL RISK OF BEING BANNED.

Whether this is just SA or National we will see.

I will report more when I am able to pass on information.

4seventy
(Sponsor)
18/02/10 04:49 PM

Quote:

I will report more when I am able to pass on information.

That would be good John, thanks.
A bit of a worry this one.

Empire375
(.300 member)
18/02/10 05:27 PM

I called and talked to SSAA Vic today and they were not aware of anything changing. Doesn't mean its not happening I guess.
They did say there was some discussion regarding large calibers in WA but the fella I talked to said he thought that had all blown over and amounted to nothing.
The guys where I ordered my Barrett from said they had two come into the country last week and both had been registered without any complications.
I have been warned regarding lasers but have never encountered one whilst flying however other pilots claim they have been. The consensus is that it is mainly people wanting the airport banned. Apparently when you buy into a suburb that has an airport it should be moved if it is inconveniencing you.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
19/02/10 12:11 AM

John,i believe you should drop the word sniper from your previous comments.
They are long range target rifles.
I have seen various calibres used by sniper teams that include:-223,22-250,243,6.5x55,303,308,30-06 and so the list goes on.
They are accurate rifles that certain personal have used for enemy or criminal control.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
19/02/10 12:21 AM

On the subject of large calibre problems here in Western Australia,you want to believe it, we have a big problem,infact nothing to my knowledge over 7.62 x 51 or 308 is being approved .
There is currently a case going through the courts where a person was refused a license for a 470 double Heym .
It is listed for the supreme court in the near future.

THE PROBLEM IS VERY REAL,MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT.

I will inform you of the progress as it happens.

This particular case has been going on for nearly 2 years with a high profile barrister involved..
And that means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So maybe us Aussies should pass the hat around.

Al

Paul
(.400 member)
19/02/10 12:46 AM

I will be extra sorry if they ban pump-action rifles. Those Browning and Remington pumps in the larger calibres make damned-good sambar rifles. A ban on large magazines would be understandable, perhaps.

If it comes to them being moved to the C category, hunters with established bona fides should be given access to help keep down the growing deer population.

I'm sorry, too, about the .470 business, Alan. That verges on crazy but then WA, a state possibly bigger than Texas and Alaska put together, has long had a strange attitude to guns. If only there was a bit more big game wandering around, they might have been more reasonable.

- Paul

9.3x57
(.450 member)
19/02/10 12:46 AM

We all believed you guys were screwed back when they confiscated guns a few years ago.

Do not sit back and wait for somebody else to do it.

Make friends with a legislator and start NOW working on legislation.

We sat on our asses and did nothing with the Endangered Species Act and it, exactly like your gun legislation, is destroying us, and will creep into every aspect of hunting.

Here, hunters in "unaffected" States sit back and act sophisticated, and wrinkle their foreheads at our problems here, or worse yet, support the government in its actions with wolves, etc, little knowing that the flood of ESA-inspired actions are coming their way, little by little.

Hunters and gunowners are some of the least politically sophisticated and biggest simpleton idiots on Planet Earth.

Some don't like bowhunting, or big rifle calibers, or this or that style of hunting {hounds, etc} and they throw rocks at each other, and all the while the enviro/anti-gun {yes, they ARE the same} movement smiles and keeps chugging along.

Divide And Conquer is alive and well, and jackasses among us are hee-hawing the hunting and gunowning public right into oblivion.

Ozzies, get involved!

Support your gun party, write legislation, take some of your gun money and give it to the cause, stand up in work and speak out. If you live in an unaffected State, SO WHAT, SPEAK OUT IN SUPPORT OF YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN THE AFFECTED STATES.

Resist!

9.3x57
(.450 member)
19/02/10 12:53 AM

And by the way, I put myself in the idiot category in the past. I, too, have spoken out against this or that gun accessory, or whatever, or taken some soft attitude on Federal encroachments.

No longer.

When you dive into the muck of the enviro movement and the anti-gun efforts and see what they are made of, it becomes crystal clear.

Resist the deprivation of rights of your neighbor, fellows, or you will lose the rights YOU favor.

{Remember back a few years when the double-guys were saying, "Oh, so what, it is just a useless SKS...good thing our doubles will be safe!"}

Yeah, right.

{...yes, I am trying to be as abrasive as I can be... }

bonanza
(.400 member)
19/02/10 12:55 AM

Check this out. Major civilian firepower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoQTFbPbg_g

(.224 member)
19/02/10 01:21 AM

I live in WA and recently got my approval for a .404 Jeffery. It took a while and I did have to have an interview with the district superintendant of police, but it all came through good in the end. He said if I was a member of the big game club I would have no trouble at all getting approval for it.
I know someone waitng to get approval for two large calibre rifles at the moment, when and if these get approved I will post it here.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
19/02/10 02:20 AM

Thats a positive comment Bill,but why should we be institutionalised and have to join a club to own and use a firearm ?
Al

450_366
(.400 member)
19/02/10 05:17 AM

Quote:

Thats a positive comment Bill,but why should we be institutionalised and have to join a club to own and use a firearm ?
Al

It easyer to take small steps, then to ban them right away, people are easially fooled that way.

(.224 member)
19/02/10 10:55 AM

Gidday Al,

I agree with you there Al we should not institutionalised in any way to enjoy our sport. I also had that discussion with the police, when asked why I didn't join the Big Game Club. My argument was that due to work committments I would miss most of thier meetings as I would not be in Perth very often, and when I am home I have family commitments (and I have to hunt as well).

Talking of the Perth Big Game Club, I went to one of their club meets once and found them to be a great bunch of blokes, so when and if do I get more free time I will join their club. But only to knock about with like minded people, not as a means to an end to own a rifle.

Ripp
(.577 member)
19/02/10 01:57 PM

Quote:

And by the way, I put myself in the idiot category in the past. I, too, have spoken out against this or that gun accessory, or whatever, or taken some soft attitude on Federal encroachments.

No longer.

When you dive into the muck of the enviro movement and the anti-gun efforts and see what they are made of, it becomes crystal clear.

Resist the deprivation of rights of your neighbor, fellows, or you will lose the rights YOU favor.

{Remember back a few years when the double-guys were saying, "Oh, so what, it is just a useless SKS...good thing our doubles will be safe!"}

Yeah, right.

{...yes, I am trying to be as abrasive as I can be... }

AMEN--9.3

You are spot on with all you comments. The anti's will NEVER stop--all gun owners, No matter what country you are in, need to get organized and get moving to keep the freedoms you currently have or expand them. WE can NOT permit the divide and conquer mantra any further..

Just read in the local paper today that Finland is also considering stricter handgun laws now because of some shootings over there..REALLY??? The typical goverment knee jerk reaction..take the guns away from the law abiding citizens and the crooks can keep theirs...

Fight every single move against any further restriction on gun ownership...enough is enough..

Ripp

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
19/02/10 06:18 PM

OK some info on this issue:

1. Spoke to some of the people having meetings this week.

2. At the National police bureaucrats meeting - whatever it is called - the SA police tried to get a national effort to ban certain chamberings such as the .338 Lapua and a list of similar medium and large calibre long range rifles.

.50 BMG
.416 Barrett
.408 Cheytac
.375 Cheytac
.338 Lapua Magnum

Basically they are targeting the cartridges they regard as long range military cartridges.

3. The other states weren't really interested. I don't know whether WA was in favour or not. They were reported originally to be part of the push.

4. The Police in SA can deny a permit to acquire a firearm without giving any reason.

They can also issue a letter cancelling the registration of an existing firearm, meaning the owner must sell it.

The Police have issued letters to target ranges instructing the ranges that these cartridges may not be used on their ranges. Basically if they are the ranges may be reclassified eg to rimfire ranges etc.

The Police do not accept hunting interstate or overseas as a justification for owning one of the rifles.

The Police regard these rifles as "excessively powerful".

The Police do not like the appearance of sniper, tactical type rifles. Cartridges that are designed to "kill people". Rifles that are of military appearance.

It was pointed out the .303 SMLE is a military rifle and cartridge, but the logic behind the laws is confused. The basic premise behind the logic is "we hate guns".

Reportedly the Minister of Police is supportive of banning guns in general.

5. A comment was made, that an ALTERNATIVE approach the police could make is to BAN any rifle that is "excessively powerful" using a formula of retained energy at a given range. This is a REAL THREAT to most big bore rifles.

My guess is these will be targeted as well in the future using logic like this -

"We have banned the .338 Lapua for being 'excessively powerful', but the .378 Weatherby, .450 NE, .458 Lott etc etc are even MORE powerful. Therefore it is logical we add all of these cartridges to the banned list."

Banning our shooters rights is not done in one fell swoop. It is done by a thousand cuts. By a slowly slowly catchee monkey approach, most shooters, say "it doesn't affect me". Until it does.

6. It should also be noted for our interstate cousins that when one state passes new bans, regulations etc, it is often copied by other states later on. Used as a justification to introduce more bans in their states as well.

So a fight in one state is one that should be shared by all.

The GOOD NEWS is there is a State Election late next month, and we should be making use of it to write letters to the politicians, and visit them in their offices, making sure they are aware of our angst.

The SA Shooters Party will be meeting soon to decide if they are running in the state election and to decide on a candidate. I spoke to the guy whom will most likely be the State candidate this afternoon.

I will post more on this subject in the future and the State election and what help shooters from this site can contribute.

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
19/02/10 06:32 PM

Yep,

A line that they parrot on "excessive" and "military" that has run in the A/Gens and ministers CoAG wankfest for many years.

FWIW WA is probably the worst as their laws militated against "powerful" cartridges for many decades (from 1920?), thus the trend to use a 45/70 as it was deemed an antique (BP) round.

The construction of laws that deem the police as having powers of discretion is a violation of liberties and common law, a matter that our Pommy cousins have suffered for many years.

The certification of ranges is based on both butts construction and safety templates that allow for "carry". (maximum range; thus the debacle on the Anzac Range at Laper)

In many cases the range is only certified for older military rounds (8mm max) unless using cast lead projies. A further clause allows that if certified as a military range then the (DoD) Inspector Rifle Ranges has to use the DoD safety template.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
20/02/10 12:14 AM

Quote:

By a slowly slowly catchee monkey approach, most shooters, say "it doesn't affect me". Until it does.

Listen up Aussies.

Even you air rifle and Two-Two types.

450_366
(.400 member)
20/02/10 01:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

By a slowly slowly catchee monkey approach, most shooters, say "it doesn't affect me". Until it does.

Listen up Aussies.

Two-two? Blowpipe?

9.3x57
(.450 member)
20/02/10 01:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Listen up Aussies.

Two-two? Blowpipe?

.22LR

Paper Punchers.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/02/10 06:41 PM

Some of these posts are not very helpful.

Empire375
(.300 member)
20/02/10 07:29 PM

The Big Game Rifle Club in Victoria has a Victorian Police firearm licensing officer as a member.
I will attempt to make contact with him on Monday and get the exact info on whats has happened and what is possibly about to happen.
I really believe it will not amount to much.

Cinghiale
(.333 member)
20/02/10 07:51 PM

Once again the apathy of Aussie gun owners is going to be a problem with this one. I think the NT will probably (or did) fight this as there are quite a good number of genuine reasons to keep big cals up there and in QLD for that matter.

I hope that maybe we start pulling our collective finger out and that the largest organised shooting body in Aus, SSAA actually support us and dont go to water like they normally do on big issues!!!!!

MOG

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
20/02/10 08:55 PM

"hope that maybe we start pulling our collective finger out and that the largest organised shooting body in Aus, SSAA actually support us and dont go to water like they normally do on big issues!!!!!"

I totally agree with you,most of these organizations are full of piss and wind when they should stand up and be counted.

Now if we had the US NRA in this country it would be a different ball game!!!!!!!!!!

Al

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
21/02/10 02:55 AM

Quote:

The Big Game Rifle Club in Victoria has a Victorian Police firearm licensing officer as a member.
I will attempt to make contact with him on Monday and get the exact info on whats has happened and what is possibly about to happen.
I really believe it will not amount to much.

The threat is in SA and possibly WA. At the present at least.

BigUglyMan
(.224 member)
21/02/10 10:53 AM

Take it from a Canadian, the nation of factionalized firearm owners, don't let them divide and conqueor. If you aren't a united group they will take you apart one piece at a time.

choppa
(.224 member)
25/02/10 01:32 PM

I also live in WA and recently added a secound 458 Lott to my licence, had to simply pen a statement saying why I wanted another rifle in the same calibre, it was approved with no fuss.

mauserand9mm
(.400 member)
25/02/10 02:49 PM

Here in Queensland, a 50 BMG rifle (even bolt action) is in the same weapons licence category as machine guns, grenades and rocket launchers (category R) ie hard for the average person to obtain. There is a necked down version of the 50 cal (460?) that can be purchased on a. more conventional, category B weapons licence (centrefire rifles). Once you have one, shooting these rifles requires a range with a long safety template and many ranges around here can't provide this. Ranges have to police approved and safety template is the major factor in the assessment.

I've heard rumours that it will also become difficult here in QLD to purchase a 338Lapua/tactical long range rifle, not so much from being made banned, or shifted to a more restricted licence category, but by the Weapon's Branch assesssing officer denying a Permit To Acquire. Allowing the PTA has always been at the discretion of the assessing officer (this is also true in WA where their equivalent of the PTA is handled by their Firearms Branch). I'm not aware of any such PTA being denied however.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
25/02/10 03:12 PM

Not just rumours very real action to "severely restrict" the following:

50 BMG
460 Steyr
408 Cheytac
416 Barrett
375 Cheytac
338 Lap Magnum
5.7x28

Rockdoc
(.400 member)
25/02/10 03:37 PM

Thanks Nitrox. Thin edge of the wedge, although the wedge is a lot fatter since John Howard was PM and gutted the LAFO's of Australia. We need a strong National Shooters Party in Australia.

Empire375
(.300 member)
25/02/10 04:27 PM

I have talked to one person who should know (not the guy I stated earlier) and was told there were some "elements" agitating for restrictions but the general consensus was "Why fix something thats not broken?"
Call it wish-full thinking but I don't feel it will gain any traction.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
25/02/10 05:17 PM

Maybe in Victoria, but in SA there is a real push to "severely restrict" these cartridges and rifles.

Ranges have reportedly been written to by Police informing them that these rifles are not permitted to be used on the ranges.

Police have said justifying these rifles in SA will be hard. And that using a justification of interstate and international hunting will not be allowed.

New rifles and PTAs won't largely be permitted.

And if you already have a rifle in these chamberings, and you can't hunt with it, nor shoot at a club with it, it will also be history. No legal requirement to compensate people for confiscations by the State governments, unlike the Commonwealth Gov't, so if it is confiscated all you will be able to do is try to sell it "somewhere".

As for people "in the know", I have been talking to and corresponding with some of the people whom actually attended the meeting with SA Police last week, so NO, "NOT just rumours."

As for not gaining traction it is already happening.

Empire375
(.300 member)
25/02/10 06:33 PM

I was told by a fella in the Vic licensing branch that SA had banned the 338 Lapua. Sad that you confirm this.
I always had the impression that when it comes to loony laws Victoria led the way.
I did hear that some ranges don't have the correct "safety template" and I know there are only two ranges in Victoria where a 50Cal can be used (for that reason).

Did the folks at the meetings tell you what the justification for the proposal was ?

I only ordered my 338 Lapua when I heard about SA - I figured this would be my last chance. The Vic licensing branch told me that club members would have no problems. I know its the Thin end of the wedge etc but I see nothing to do but carry on and hope for common sense.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
26/02/10 01:44 AM

Not banned but difficult to get and perhaps to keep. Justifying it would be the problem.

What was the Police justification?

None that I know of, except they are saying it is not needed for hunting in SA, ie smaller calibres are adequate and they claim no range is allowed to use them. If interstate and international use is also not allowed to be used as a justification it makes it a lot harder.

Some were confiscated but I believe one or two may have been recovered by their owners.

A list of similar LR chamberings is on the table to be treated similarly as well.

Now get this, rebarrelling to a .338/378 is supposed to be OK, but no .338 Lapua.

The whole SA Firearms legislation is being reviewed for April I believe, so who knows what will be in that.

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
26/02/10 08:43 AM

Hi John.

Living here in a small country, its puzzles me, that as so far we do not have any caliberbans here...but who knows ofcouse. However I have never been to australia yet, but being in such a big country of yours, is there not enough space just to go out and shoot at a remote place??.
If not so, couldn`t anyone downthere anywy find a spot where "uncle bobby" didn`t show up?
If so, why would anybody go to a shotingrange anyway??.

mauserand9mm
(.400 member)
26/02/10 12:15 PM

Quote:

I have talked to one person who should know (not the guy I stated earlier) and was told there were some "elements" agitating for restrictions but the general consensus was "Why fix something thats not broken?"
Call it wish-full thinking but I don't feel it will gain any traction.

Good point! The other mass scale bans ("buy-backs") in the past were politically motivated as a result of serious incidents with firearms (eg Port Arthur, Melbourne university) more to be seen to be doing something than actually fixing anything.

This current ban proposal hasn't really been provoked by anything. It would be good if they chose to spend tax payer's money with more diligence and acountability. I wonder what the costs are to make changes to the legislation, not to mention the man power and processes put in place to handle another buyback?

I wonder what public consensus would be on this issue if it reached the media - which it won't because it is not newsworthy.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
26/02/10 04:37 PM

Quote:

Living here in a small country, its puzzles me, that as so far we do not have any caliberbans here...but who knows ofcouse. However I have never been to australia yet, but being in such a big country of yours, is there not enough space just to go out and shoot at a remote place??.
If not so, couldn`t anyone downthere anywy find a spot where "uncle bobby" didn`t show up?
If so, why would anybody go to a shotingrange anyway??.

Yes it puzzles us as well.

Many in the Police obviously do not trust their own law abiding citizens.

Many some copper is looking for an excuse to make a splash to get a promotion?

The Minister of Police in SA is also alleged to be very anti-gun.

What these "gun-bans" represent is just smaller steps on their ultimate objective of banning everything.

If they try it all at once they know there will be a huge backlash. But by smaller steps, they know the divided shooters community will argue and infight and some will not care because they aren't affected this time. So they ban everything in small steps.

Empire375
(.300 member)
26/02/10 05:05 PM

I got in touch today with David McCarthy President SSAA SA and he replied with the following ...

Hi Bob, the post you have read was notes from a meeting we had with SAPOL. The SSAA's stance is to argue and fight these and any other restrictions as they occur. SSAA SA have a meeting tomorrow where we will decide what our next course of action is, now that we have the information and not just rumours. In the mean time I'm sure that writing to your local member and federal member will do no harm if you express your concerns in a clear and concise way. No doubt you will hear alot more about this subject in the very near future.

This to me sounds encouraging............

handsomerob
(.224 member)
03/03/10 08:25 PM

any more news on this, as a west australian currently arguing with the police licensing service, this interests me quite a lot. i'm going through the State Administrative Tribunal at the moment to get a gun that i had to order in and pay for just to apply for the license. now i had a feeling that they were trying to put me off till some law change came through, the only light on the horizon is that the SAT seem to be a little negative toward the lack of justification by the police. The other scary thing is that i probably will not see any compensation, and will probably struggle to sell the firearm. it upsets me that i have so much trouble with a simple single shot bolt action rifle, yet am allowed to get a pump action 30 06 with little problem.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
04/03/10 01:23 AM

Choppa,did you submit your application before the change over to Australia Post applications???????????????????????

Al

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
04/03/10 01:27 AM

010166 Bill,was your application submitted before the change over to Aust Post Applications ????????????????????????
Al

(.224 member)
04/03/10 09:32 AM

Yes Al, I did get mine just before Australia Post took over. Do you think that maybe things are held up with Australia Post doing it now? A mate of mine is still waiting for two large cals he has put in for, and his was done with Australia Post just after they started doing them, I think. He has a good letter etc, and went to a lot of trouble to prove his point.

I really do hope the firearms branch are not being arseholes at the moment, as it is hard enough to get firearms here as it is.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
04/03/10 02:24 PM

Since the change over ,I dont know of any dealer that has completed a transaction on a firearm over 308 calibre.
So I believe they are being difficult.
Al

Empire375
(.300 member)
04/03/10 03:30 PM

I dont understand. Does Australia Post handle applications in WA ?

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/03/10 05:48 PM

Quote:

it upsets me that i have so much trouble with a simple single shot bolt action rifle, yet am allowed to get a pump action 30 06 with little problem.

The original story was that they were looking at pump action centrefires as well so I wouldn't be using that as a justification. ie at the Tassie meeting of the various state police services.

But I have not heard any more about the pump action threat.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
05/03/10 12:18 AM

Yes Australia Post handle our firearms applications.
Go figure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! www.eletter.com.au/apply/wapolfirearms/

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Ourservices/Firearms/tabid/1616/Default.aspx

mauserand9mm
(.400 member)
05/03/10 02:19 PM

Australia Post just receive the applications and the payment and pass them onto Weapons Licencing Branch. This is similar to paying utility bills there, in a way.

I think it is a good idea - the police (WA and QLD - only two states I've liven in, so far, and ignoring the other two states - drunk and sober ) have rules about receiving cash - they have to receive the exact amount for the application since they do not operate a till and can't provide change. It also saves them time by having this done by another agency.

I can't help but feel slightly guilty about taking up the QLD police time when I apply for a PTA - there's usually some other member of the public at the counter trying to sort out a more serious issue. Mind you I've never had problems with the police when doing this - we both know it's the result of cumbersome system in need of overhaul. I think the WA approach leads the way.

Empire375
(.300 member)
05/03/10 03:52 PM

I guess it could work. I'm in Melbourne though and that means I would need to be able to go into my local Post Offices and speak English. That may be a problem
I'm applying for a permit soon so I guess I'll find out what happens down here these days. I thought it was done over the internet by the gun dealer but I'm not for certain.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
06/03/10 01:17 PM

Mauser9mm,you might think its a good idea untill you wait 5 months and still dont get a response either way.
One local dealer pre sold about 100 firearms and at last count only about a dozen have received approval.
He is carrying the cost of those firearms untill approved,so naturally the wholesalers want there money ,dealer cant pay till firearms approved and paid for,wholesaler cuts of credit,dealer closes down or borrows money to keep trading.

Who wins,THE GOVERNMENT BY SHUTTING DOWN DEALERS.

Paul
(.400 member)
09/03/10 12:01 AM

This sounds a bit like RSA, where even a legitimate PH is lucky to get a new rifle to protect his clients.

mauserand9mm
(.400 member)
09/03/10 02:19 PM

5 months!!! That's crook! Where is the hold-up?

choppa
(.224 member)
09/03/10 09:22 PM

Sorry about the delayed response Alan, yes I did slip it in before the change.

Chris

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
09/03/10 11:56 PM

Like I said earlier,red tape,politics and calibres over 308.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/03/10 02:57 PM

While on this subject, see this thread if you are a South Australian voter.

SA Shooters Party info and docs for the election

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/03/10 03:49 AM

Letter from SAPOL claiming there is NO GUN BAN.

Yeah right, no ban, but just make it impossible to own certain rifles. Semantics. Still an effective ban.

SAPOL Letter Large Cal firearms

9dot3x74R
(.275 member)
11/03/10 07:45 AM

An interesting letter.

What ballistic performance does the "safety template" for most ranges assume? is it based on trajectory, or remaining energy within the template, or something else, like the whim of the authorities?

I'd be thinking some huge volume for calibre varmint cartridges may be a problem.

tarawa
(.333 member)
11/03/10 02:07 PM

I have been reading these posts and pray for the Australian (and Canadian) gunowners. Support the Shooters Party. I also pray that we can survive the next three years with the Kenyan.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
17/03/10 12:20 AM

Well the decision was made today that there was no reason to refuse my mate his license for his Heym 470 double.
And certain members of the police department will have a black mark against them and egg all over there face.
That includes district superintendants or one in particular!!!!!!!!

Foot note:- state police in Aussie are trying to get the attorney general to ban 338LM and 50 cal.

(.224 member)
01/04/10 09:03 AM

A mate has now received his approval for a .338 win mag & a .416 rem mag in WA. The hold up was the Australia Post issue. He had rang the firearms branch and was told there is a huge back log. This is not acceptable. Many gun shops in WA must be feeling the pinch having thier business restricted by the WA Government, this must be close to criminal. If I owned a gunshop in WA I would be making a hell of a lot of noise about this.

Francis
(.224 member)
06/04/10 07:35 PM

Hello all,

This is the first I have heard of a push to ban large calibre rifles. I have not seen any mention in the Australian Shooter magazine or the ADA deer magazine. Has anyone seen anything in the papers? They are usually pretty quick to jump on anything anti gun.

choppa
(.224 member)
06/04/10 08:26 PM

This whole new system is a massive shitfight, It would have to be a very special rifle for me to go through the paperwork to purchase, it makes me wonder if they will see the light and scrap this new system in its entirety and reintroduce something similar to the old system, which wasnt perfect but you knew where you stood at least.
If my wife and I could make the money we make here in WA on the east coast we would be back in Vic in a heartbeat.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/04/10 01:28 PM

Quote:

Hello all,

This is the first I have heard of a push to ban large calibre rifles. I have not seen any mention in the Australian Shooter magazine or the ADA deer magazine. Has anyone seen anything in the papers? They are usually pretty quick to jump on anything anti gun.

There is a push within the WA and SA Police Firearms Sections to effectively "ban" a list of long range medium and big bore chamberings in rifles. Chamberings such as the .338 Lapua, Cheytacs, .460 Steyr etc.

Possibly could get expanded to virtually everything over and including such .338.

Well if not expanded to those right now, they will try it "tomorrow" anyway.

9dot3x74R
(.275 member)
12/04/10 11:15 AM

I just had an interesting telephone conversation with a lady from the Firearms division of Tasmania Police.

I'm wanting to import a few empty brass cases from Jamisons and I was looking for a B709A, I sent in the application and after a followup phone call all was ok. But then..... they decided not to allow it because "legislation is on the way in", and "the ballistics person looked at the cartridge and decided to reject it because it could be used on Elephants".

I kid you not.

Anyway, I am now awaiting a telephone call from a superior so I can find out what the f**k is going on.

Empire375
(.300 member)
12/04/10 05:36 PM

I dont understand. Do you have to apply to import ammo/cases in Tasmania ? I'm in Victoria and I just get it shipped over - No applications or permits at all

450_366
(.400 member)
12/04/10 05:54 PM

Quote:

I just had an interesting telephone conversation with a lady from the Firearms division of Tasmania Police.

I'm wanting to import a few empty brass cases from Jamisons and I was looking for a B709A, I sent in the application and after a followup phone call all was ok. But then..... they decided not to allow it because "legislation is on the way in", and "the ballistics person looked at the cartridge and decided to reject it because it could be used on Elephants".

I kid you not.

Anyway, I am now awaiting a telephone call from a superior so I can find out what the f**k is going on.

How large are the tusks on your elephants in tasmania? Cant remeber seeing one.

9dot3x74R
(.275 member)
12/04/10 06:23 PM

Quote:

I dont understand. Do you have to apply to import ammo/cases in Tasmania ? I'm in Victoria and I just get it shipped over - No applications or permits at all

Yes you do, any reloading components are prohibited imports in to Australia without a permit. This also applies to Victoria and all the other states. Most people seem to get away with it because the incoming parcels are accidentally labeled "extruded brass" or some such thing.

My 450 NE #2 cartridge cases from Jamisons were labelled correctly and got stopped by customs in Melbourne.

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
12/04/10 06:34 PM

Hi 9dot3x74R,

I agree with Empire375 that's what I have done before, no paperwork. Are you after some-thing "Special" brass wise?? as I will phone around for you if you tell me what you want.. Just remember that Tasmania is a part of Australia (God forbid, just joking) so I can send them to you by normal post as long as they are just cases.

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/04/10 06:42 PM

Quote:

I kid you not.

Bloody hell. If what you say is right, that is ridiculous ie imposing laws not even enacted yet!

What brass are you looking for?

If you are having this problem in Tassie, I'm sure it can be brought in through another state, and in any case that treatment needs "testing" elsewhere as well.

Also most "elephant" cartridges are well and truly suitable for water buffalo.

But the "lady" from Tassie Police has highlighted there IS new laws on the way in Tasmania.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/04/10 06:43 PM

Quote:

My 450 NE #2 cartridge cases from Jamisons were labelled correctly and got stopped by customs in Melbourne.

I see, I have a .450 No. 2 so ..... will send a PM.

Empire375
(.300 member)
12/04/10 07:34 PM

I must have been lucky ! I've brought over PLENTY of ammo components in the last 6 months. I have not attempted to bring in loaded ammo but I always label my parcels spot on for what they actually contain ie

550 x .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge cases for centre fire rifle

and have had enquiries from customs in the past but only to do with duty to be paid on larger orders.

Also I am led to believe that components were ok but ready to fire ammo was not which I can understand. I can buy powder or projectiles without a licence in Victoria but I must produce my shooters licence to buy loaded ammo.

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
12/04/10 07:49 PM

Hi Empire375,

I am not a Victorian but any Dangerous Goods in NSW, ammunition, powder or primers can not be posted and as I understand it, and a licence is required to purchase them but as each state varies that's not a 100% guarantee.

As for Duty, you are allowed to Import up to A$1,000 of goods for private purchase and use and that dollar value includes shipping. I have bought in gun cases from Italy and scopes from the USA and other bits with no problem but as you said, a clear description is the safe way to travel. When I purchased these cases from Italy I asked them to spread the overall costs in the shipments this way all receipts were under the A$1,000 at any one time.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/04/10 07:55 PM

Well I have not imported brass so no idea if a B709A is needed.

Came in once from Africa via Perth without the ammo on the B709A and had them confiscate all the loaded ammo, but they let me keep the used brass. The loaded ammo was sent to Adelaide and I got it back once I applied for a permit for it.

In SA a licence is required to buy across the counter loaded ammo, primers and powder I believe.

Brass and bullets, nothing is required.

Empire375
(.300 member)
12/04/10 07:57 PM

Hi Jeff

I have only ever brought over cases and projectiles. Never primers or powder. I buy Lapua powder from up your way and it has to come down on dangerous goods transports. Primers - I buy em were I am when I need em.
I do the same with the shipping in terms of breaking the deliveries up though some times the additional shipping costs outweigh the duty savings.
I figure if I'm going to waste money it might as well go to Mr FEDEX as Mr Rudd though !
I reckon the sheila in Tassie was having a rough day in her cubicle. I've no doubt the cases will come through in due course.
If rogue elephants start trouble in Tassie then at least one guy will be ready for em.

Bob

4seventy
(Sponsor)
12/04/10 08:41 PM

I'm in Qld. Back in 2004 I bought some Bell NE cases from USA and had them air freighted over.
Customs nabbed them when they arrived, because I didn't have a permit. I didn't know that I needed one!
Fortunately they allowed me to organise a permit and I ended up getting the brass. For a while there I thought I was going to lose it.

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
12/04/10 10:24 PM

Hi to All the forum members,

I have just sent this Email to Mr Robert Brown MP.

Good Morning Mr Brown,

Would you please have a look at the following link, it is a shooting forum, nitroexpress.com as many hunters and shooters from various states are starting to have trouble in obtaining ammunition, cartridge cases etc let alone rifles in the larger calibres.

It seems that there is a push to ban larger calibres for various un-known reasons and the by product is people who own old and vintage double rifles etc will get caught up in this finding..

The link is as follows:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post154009

As none of these problems has been mentioned in the media or the Sporting Shooters Association I felt it necessary to inform you of this action so that it may be squashed before it becomes law.

Respectfully Yours,

Jeffrey Charles Gray

9dot3x74R
(.275 member)
13/04/10 10:10 AM

Just a follow up after another telephone conversation with Tas Police......

The "problem" is as a result of the recent conference on firearms licensing or something like that, in SA.

No legislation is in place or before parliament, but it seems like it's about to happen.... once we have a government again in Tasmania (not yet sorted out).

She suggested that .458 and above is "the issue".

The boss won't even talk to me, until they have something concrete to say.... so it looks like I may lose my shipment. Bummer. These things aren't cheap. She acknowledged that I had verbal approval several weeks ago, so they are going to "see what they can do". I did point out that I could buy this stuff over the counter in Oz anyway... without the need for any permission or even a licence, and that I would be doing that.

Nothing else to report.

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
13/04/10 11:17 AM

If they give you a problem and so that you won't loose your shipment, get it sent to a dealer, namely Alex as you will be seeing him.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
13/04/10 04:10 PM

Hi to all the Forum Members,

This is the reply from Robert Brown MP.

Hi Jeff,'yes, we were aware of this growing problem. My colleague Roy Smith is handling
firearms issues, so I'll pass on your info to him.
Please be assured that we will do all that we can to stop this dangerous "Calibre Creep".
Regards,
Rober

Robert Brown, MLC
The Shooters Party
Parliament House Sydney
Phone 02 9230 3059

URL: www.parliament.nsw.gov.au
Internet e-mail: Robert.Brown@parliament.nsw.gov.au

NOTICE –
This e-mail is solely for the named addressee and may be confidential. You should only read, disclose, transmit, copy, distribute, act in reliance on or commercialise the contents if you are authorised to do so. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender by e-mail immediately and then destroy any copy of this message. Except where otherwise specifically stated, views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender.
The New South Wales Parliament does not guarantee that this communication is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.

Empire375
(.300 member)
13/04/10 05:40 PM

I have some good news regarding this matter and I'm waiting on permission to quote the fella who gave me the low down. Things may not be as bad as feared.
I'm assuming he is out of his office so hopefully he will email me permission tomorrow.

500Nitro
(.450 member)
13/04/10 05:42 PM

Quote:

I have some good news regarding this matter and I'm waiting on permission to quote the fella who gave me the low down. Things may not be as bad as feared.
I'm assuming he is out of his office so hopefully he will email me permission tomorrow.

A whole raft of new rules etc are supposed to be released / effective 1st July so I wouldn't count your chickens yet.

A lot of Politics / lobBying being done ATM.

Empire375
(.300 member)
13/04/10 05:46 PM

here goes ............

Hi Bob, thanks for the email, the only matter I understand which holds
ground is the .50 cal.

I believe it started in SA at COAG in relation to .50 cal only, making
them a restricted calibre, being you had to be a SSAA Member, a Sub
Branch member of the military rifle club, and have access to a suitable
range.

I heard they were considering .338 lapua mag but nothing has eventuated.

As far as the rest is concerned just rumour started somewhere, rememeber
the chinese whisper ....

Regards

Warren

Hi Bob,

you can quote me as a "Regional Firearms Officer"

I read the entire posts and saw the positive reply given re .50
cal which was my understanding, you can quote me on that which
is policy.

In terms of the .338 Lapua being considered, that was a "rumor"
only however one would imagine the same policy would apply, a
lot of items are discussion points only and never get up.

In relation to other calibres, situation normal.

Warren

4seventy
(Sponsor)
13/04/10 06:04 PM

Quote:

That's interesting, as in the link that NitroX posted in this thread, SA Police say that one 338 Lapua Magnum has already been "seized".
http://nitroexpress.info/ubbthreads/photos_info/201003/sapollargecalfaletter.pdf

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
13/04/10 06:05 PM

Hi Empire375,

If Warren Jackman says it's so then it is so... at least in Victoria but just like our uniform firearms licencing we will have to wait and see about the other states.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

500Nitro
(.450 member)
13/04/10 06:07 PM

Well they are gunning for 408's and 416's as well so don't think it's limited to 50 cals and 338's.

Empire375
(.300 member)
13/04/10 06:26 PM

I think in reality they are gunning for every rifle period. However in Victoria I thinks its going to be OK and as we all realise the concept has little merit.
I know personally that in Victoria permits to acquire are still being granted for .338 Lapua magnums. At least they were last week.
Whilst I understand that I am politically naive I just cannot see for the life of me this idea getting of the ground. It just makes no sense. Before anybody says "it dosn't need to make sense" I understand that, BUT wouldn't COAG have bigger and more beneficial things to discuss/do ?

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
13/04/10 09:24 PM

12 months ago I had to get a b709 to import a stock checkering kit,2 front sights and some fibre optic inserts.
Customs would not release them and the WA Police said it was bullshit on customs part.
Police gave me a B709.

A couple of years ago customs seized a book titled :-Military and police sniper because on page 98 and 99 it had pictures of where to shoot a villan in the head.
The book was seized permanantly.
Another was ordered and came through the system without problems.
This book is also available for sale in Australia.

Go figure !!!!!!!!

Matt_Graham
(Sponsor)
13/04/10 11:54 PM

Quote:

here goes ............

Hi Bob, thanks for the email, the only matter I understand which holds
ground is the .50 cal.

I believe it started in SA at COAG in relation to .50 cal only, making
them a restricted calibre, being you had to be a SSAA Member, a Sub
Branch member of the military rifle club, and have access to a suitable
range.

As far as the rest is concerned just rumour started somewhere, rememeber
the chinese whisper ....

Regards

Warren

Hi Bob,

you can quote me as a "Regional Firearms Officer"

I read the entire posts and saw the positive reply given re .50
cal which was my understanding, you can quote me on that which
is policy.

only however one would imagine the same policy would apply, a
lot of items are discussion points only and never get up.

In relation to other calibres, situation normal.

Warren

This may be true in VICTORIA but in SA there is a list published by SAPOL of the calibres that will be banned... there is no denying that is what they are gunning for as we have it in writing from them... Remember each state has different laws!!

I thought 50BMG was already off the list in Vic?? or do they want for 50NE and similar cartridges as well???

500Nitro
(.450 member)
14/04/10 03:31 AM

Yes, I think 50BMG is already off the list in Vic.

577500WR
(.275 member)
14/04/10 03:41 AM

I just came across this post and I must say you blokes are being OPPRESSED. In the USA, we do cherish and protect our freedoms. Can you not overturn laws that are stupid? I saw where people in your government are enforcing laws that have not been passed yet. Do you have recourse through the legal system or can you contact your local or regional representatives and have them advocate on your behalf. If they refuse, vote the bastards out.

My bottom line is this: Do not give away your rights nor let them be taken away from you. If you don't, next week they will be outlawing fishing hooks.

577500WR
Matt Moore
Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Empire375
(.300 member)
14/04/10 06:17 AM

To have a 50 BMG rifle in Victoria you must be a member of the SSAA Military Rifle club and have a letter of recommendation from them. They will only give you this after you have been a member for 12 Months and they are happy to support you.
You must also have access to an approved range. The only approved range that I am aware of is Eagle Park in Little River.
I have eight months to run and then I intend to apply

Paul
(.400 member)
14/04/10 11:29 PM

Your signature statement says it all, Matt.

Most people are anti-guns and, were we to make guns a voting issue, we would probably lose.

The problem you see here, though, may have something to do with law by regulation, where the Public Service is allowed to make up details pertaining to laws, without them ever being voted on by the legislature.

One of these regulations may be that police firearms officers are vested with the prerogative to refuse applications for any reason they see fit.

Tasmania has just had an election that ended more-or-less in a hung parliament. I'm not certain which party will form government but the Greens will have the whip hand, either way. For all that, the police are being overzealous in anticipating laws that may still not happen.

Tasmanian shooters should be asked to write to their local members and tell them that if their party connives with the Greens on such legislation it can forget about the gunowner's vote next time. As Americans know, that has a way of concentrating the representative's mind on his own political survival.

Despite John Howard scoring on gun control after the Port Arthur massacre, Barry Unsworth, once premier of NSW, apparently blamed shooters for his losing office.

- Paul

Ben
(.400 member)
26/04/10 09:31 AM

A fellow I know in WA recently was approved to purchase a heavy calibre leaver-action rifle. In his letter of application, he wrote about hunting big game on the properties he has access to, as well as travelling interstate for big game hunting. He isn't a member of SSAA.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com