Bighammer
(.275 member)
07/05/08 10:39 AM
Searcy

Hi All,

Am looking into purchasing a Searcy double and have read only good things about them. If anyone has shot or even handled one of these, your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Of course, my main queries lie with balance, ease of operation and reliability.

Many thanks.

bigdog
(.375 member)
07/05/08 11:16 AM
Re: Searcy

I have a 700 under lever, and a 577. I have never had any trouble with the 700, and just got the 577 about a month ago. Butch is a great guy and warranties everything. I like both of my Searcy's.

Bighammer
(.275 member)
07/05/08 11:28 AM

Thanks Bigdog.

The good news continues!

LGF
(.275 member)
07/05/08 06:54 PM

I am very pleased with both my Searcy .470's. Everyone agrees that Butch is terrific, and will fix any problems overnight.

degoins
(.333 member)
07/05/08 09:18 PM

I've had my PH 450/400 for nearly 2 years now and have really enjoyed it. No problems whatsoever.

wadeb
(.224 member)
08/05/08 12:28 AM

As I said on the .577 post, you will not go wrong with a searcy rifle. LGF, I finally replied to you about Ionides' .470, sorry it took so long.

wadeb

Bighammer
(.275 member)
08/05/08 09:38 AM

Many thanks all.

Pity I don't live in the States; I'd love a yarn with Butch about his rifles.

BigFiveJack
(.333 member)
08/05/08 01:30 PM

Be fair to yourself and check out www.heymusa.com ,

www.verney-carron.com [DEMAS}, www.ziegenhahn.com ,

in new rifles. Don't ignore serviceable vintage rifles

from the U.K. and Germany and Austria, etc.

Bighammer
(.275 member)
08/05/08 02:39 PM

Thanks BigFiveJack.

I've looked at Heym, Merkel and Blaser as well. Actually hefted a Merkel and the particular rifle seemed stock-heavy and I couldn't line the sights up effortlessly. Also, the European engraving is a little tizzy for me! I guess that can be modified.

The search goes on though. May be able to handle a Searcy soon.

CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
08/05/08 03:19 PM

Hi Bighammer,

Have you had a look at the Chapuis "African" range, I have the "Brousse" in .375 H&H and handles well and am considering a .470 if $$ permit. www.chapuis-armes.com If you would like to ask some questions send me a PM. Cheers

Bighammer
(.275 member)
08/05/08 03:58 PM

Hi Chapuisarmes,

Have only had a look at Chapuis over the internet, never seen one of their rifles.

Thanks for your offer via a PM too. May just do that if necessary.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/05/08 04:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks BigFiveJack.

I've looked at Heym, Merkel and Blaser as well. Actually hefted a Merkel and the particular rifle seemed stock-heavy and I couldn't line the sights up effortlessly. Also, the European engraving is a little tizzy for me! I guess that can be modified.

The search goes on though. May be able to handle a Searcy soon.

Three Aussie members on NE may have one. I may send you a PM and you can send them one if you like to get their first hand opinions.

Personally I would go for a Heym myself. Imported for you by the importers/distributor.

One of the advantages Searcy owners push over buying European made doubles is the ability to have it custom fitted and also send it back for repairs and work if something is wrong with it. Fine for US based customers but here it is a long boat trip over and back and all the crap that goes with exporting and importing again, when sending it and AGAIN when receiving back. The after sales service is very important as I know one (US based) which had to go back three times!

You may want to check out some of the Searcy engraving too as you have mentioned engraving as an issue.

Bighammer
(.275 member)
08/05/08 04:34 PM

NitroX,

You make some very good points about the after-sales service/hassles. I'm still open to other makes. I like Searcy's colour-cased hardening finish. Your views on Heym would be appreciated too as to why they're your preference.

A PM would be most helpful.

Many thanks.

DGR375
(.300 member)
08/05/08 04:52 PM

You might like to contact Alex Beer, as well. I've spoken to him; he seems eager to understand fully what you are after, and a return flight to Tasmania is not that expensive these days.

http://www.alexbeer.com/contact.html

Bighammer
(.275 member)
08/05/08 04:56 PM

DGR375,

You are most kind. I shall contact Alex asap.

Thanks.

Nakihunter
(.375 member)
09/05/08 12:42 AM

Is it true that the Searcy is based on the various British styled DRs? I would appreciate some comments on this particular issue of basic design.

ozhunter
(.400 member)
09/05/08 05:00 PM

Some photos of the Searcy Classic.

degoins
(.333 member)
09/05/08 08:29 PM

OZ, that is one fine rifle!!!

degoins
(.333 member)
09/05/08 08:36 PM

Nakihunter, I do beleive the Searcy's are based on English designs, but here's Butch's email, he can tell you for sure.....searcy@ccis.com

alexbeer
(.333 member)
10/05/08 09:01 PM

Thanks DGB375 for posting our website link!

I have seen a couple of Searcy's and handled ozhunter's classic 450/400. I liked it.

With our Double Rifles we have five main goals:

- Reliability
- Fit and function
- Balance
- Asethetics
- Accuracy

Above all, we want our clients to be very happy with their rifle.

Being situated here in Australia we believe is a huge advantage for our Australian clients. As you said "a return flight to Tasmania is not that expensive these days", and that's all it takes to have your rifle fitted to you.

We are serious about our clients receiving a Double Rifle that is perfectly fitted to them and to their requirements! We stand behind our work.

Good shooting,

Alex

alexbeer.com

Bighammer
(.275 member)
12/05/08 07:31 PM

Alex,

I look forward to meeting you at the SHOT Show soon. I'm sure most, if not all, my questions will be answered!

wombat
(.300 member)
12/05/08 09:11 PM

I have a Searcy 500 double and am very happy with it .
I have taken 3 NT buf and a Zim.elephant as well as many brumby and donkey.With lots of use ,like any big game rifle,it does require maintenance but there are blokes in Australia up to the task.Bob de Vries of Kudu Services in Victoria has done some work on the rifle for me so he could give you a gunsmith's opinion on the merits of the weapon.I must say I have found Butch Searcy honest and straight talking in his dealings and would have no hestitation in doing bussiness with him again

Bighammer
(.275 member)
13/05/08 05:45 PM

Thanks Wombat.

I know Bob and have seen some of his excellent work. The good news about Searcy continues!

ozhunter
(.400 member)
06/06/08 07:51 PM

gei
(.224 member)
11/06/08 02:27 AM

You should handle all of the above before you purchase, I started with Merkel (monetary consideration) I now have Heym 450/400, it is the double i liked most after handling all of them

sharpsshooter
(.224 member)
17/06/08 09:41 AM

I just went to Searcy's shop yesterday (June 15th) and spent over 6 hours with Butch and a friend talking about and looking at several of his rifles that were built or in the process of being built. He took me on a tour of his shop and explained the process of building a double rifle.

He took me out to the regulating range with a 470NE and a 450/400 3" to shoot. I shot each of them 10-12 times and Butch was the perfect host.

I don't know of many builders that would go to the extent of spending a Sunday ( In fact Fathers day) to show and explain their product to such a degree.

Butch is a no nonsense type of guy that is set in his ways, but stands behind his product 100%. He is fair and genuine which is unique in todays world.

I have just retired after 32 years in Law enforcement and have a guarded nature entering into any business venturea. With Searcy they were no no doubts about being treated fairly.

I put in an order for one of his rifles (470NE) with an extra set of 450/400 3 Inch barrels with a scope mount.

Bighammer
(.275 member)
17/06/08 02:00 PM

All we need is an Australian importer for Searcy.

DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
19/06/08 12:20 AM

Quote:

Hi All,

Am looking into purchasing a Searcy double and have read only good things about them. If anyone has shot or even handled one of these, your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Of course, my main queries lie with balance, ease of operation and reliability.

Many thanks.

Bighammer , I've known Butch Searcy for many years, from back when he was in New Mexico! He is a stand up guy, and builds a good product. He will tell you himself, that he doesn't build H&H, or Purdey rifles, and doesn't want to even try to compete with them. What he makes is a GOOD solid double rifle that will shoot with the best made, for accuracy. His rifles are made to fit the customer, and his standard wood is outstanding in quality. Given the chance, he will remedy any problem you encounter with one of his rifles. His new "CLASSIC" rifles are beautiful, and are as well ballanced as any I've encountered, especially in his price range. IMO, his rifles are value for money spent, though his prices have shot up some, but then so has everything else moved up in price today!

Bighammer
(.275 member)
19/06/08 11:26 AM

Dugaboy1,

Did manage a close look at a Searcy and yes, it was very well made and looked attractive too. Sadly, not having an importer in Oz, it becomes a tedious and unnecessary hassle to import a rifle and there are a variety of European makes that are readily available here to choose from. 'Tis the only problem but I do appreciate your input.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com