walksfar
(.275 member)
13/06/07 04:21 PM
Re: building a DR on a CZ SXS action

Bonanza,
how is your .45-120 built? Any gunsmiths willing to tackle this kind of thing?
I am going to buy another CZ Ringneck to possibly have another go at something like this. One of the reasons I'm making the smooth-rifle out of the first one, is because it is doing so well with round balls and heavy loads. First time out with those, it began putting four shot groups touching alternately from both barrels at 50 yds. This is no joke, and I was quite tickled as you can well imagine. Enough so, that I just decided to do an all out job on it for shooting heavy ball loads, much like the old smoothies from the Empire days.
And this was with just the front brass bead. I can't wait to see what it does with proper sights so I can line things up right. After shooting those big pumpkinballs so well, the thought of rifled barrels was erased from my mind for a moment. After all, I've got heavy DG rifles, but this was something I did not have up to this point-a sort of dual purpose thing which I had thought of before but never put to paper. That, and doubling as a snake gun it would, and hopefully will, be heaven. We hunt wild hogs in some rough swamps, and cottonmouths are a menace to us, often ending up underfoot and too close for comfort. I'm hoping this will make for a dual purpose gun, firing both ball and shot.
At $745.00 on sale, it can't be beat. Of course what I'm doing can be done with a much cheaper gun, but oh well, this one has at least some measure of class about it, which is what I like, but too often, can't afford.
But I will be buying another, and will be going the rifled route. I was just curious as to how your own cz .45-120 was built, as to maybe gain some insight.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com