DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
28/01/04 01:47 AM
Re: Making your own double rifle

In reply to:

Butch Searcy was building them on Ruger Red Labels and Browning SxS shotgun frames. Not sure if he still does or not.

Butch Searcy only built one double rifle on the Red Lable, and did not want to build that one. It was made at the insistance of Ross Sefried, and Butch told me he wouldn't build another O/U double rifle for anyone! There is a man in Colorado, who is Building double rifles on Red Lable actions! His name is Yale, and if anyone is interested, Ray knows him and can give you a contact number.

Searcy's early doubles were built on Browning BSS actions, that were re-heat treated, and had a third fastener added. The first ones built for himself. The ones built for sale were only available in 470 NE to start with, and had the single selective trigger of the Browning shotgun action. They were later made with double triggers, and they sold for the princly sum of $3000 USD. There is one of these BSS doubles around that has had over 1000 rounds of 470NE fired through it, and it is still tight! Today Searcy doubles are built on his own actions, both box lock, and side lock!

The one who was building double rifle on the Red Lable, was the German born , Paul jeager,shop head of a large gun dealer in Pinn USA. The mono-blocks, and revievers were sold to him dirrectly from RUGER already fitted. Paul fitted 375 H&H barrels in them, and sold them for $1900 USD in the late seventies, or early eighties! The red lable is a strong action, but has one draw back! The buttons that serve as trunions are a molded part of the reciever it's self, and a little wear and they are loose. Where a henge pin is hardened to very hard, the Ruger trunion buttons are no harder than the action material, and are prone to wear. They can only be tightened by tig welding to build up the trunion, then refit! I agree with 4seventy, if the pressures are kept low, and much care is taken to lubricate the trunion buttons, and hooks, properly then they are OK, but I would rather have hardened replacable trunion buttons, or henge pin. The "GOLD LABEL" is the S/S and has the better, replaceable, hardened cross henge pin, and lump hook! I think the rumbelings about Ruger building a double rifle on this action are smoke, or at least way down the road.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com