DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
27/01/04 01:22 AM
Re: Making your own double rifle

In reply to:

How do you keep the strikers away from the pins?
I presume by pins you mean firing pins?
The "strikers" and "firing pins" are the same item are they not?

As usual you are absolutely correct, and if we don't understand the meaning, without it, we can give the exact terminology for every piece. To be correct, the piece in a "HAMMERLESS" rifle, you refere to as a hammer, is, in fact, called a tumbler, not a hammer, but origenaly it as called a striker, because the fireing pin was part of the tumbler. This was called a DOG TOOTH striker, and was simply a pertrusion on the nose of the tumbler that went through a hole in the breech to contact the primer. The body of this piece was only called a tumbler, after the the pins were seperated,from the main body of the striker, and the body of the origenal "STRIKER" became a "TUMBLER"! The external "HAMMER" was origenally called a "COCK", so either is correct, if one needs to nit pick! The fact is, 90% of the people who read this couldn't care less, or would even know the difference!

I edited my post to reflect this terminology, if that is absolutely necessary, though I don't think it makes the meaning of the post any clearer!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com