hobbyguymaine
(.224 member)
18/03/07 12:33 PM
Pls Read Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi?

Still lurking here, just read on another DR forum: “Amoskeag Auctions in Manchester, NH, USA has a real nice looking Pedersoli Kodiak sxs hammer with browned barrels in 8x57JRS at auction this coming Sat. March 24. It is listed at what seems a very reasonable 800-1200 dollars.” I’d posted a new thread on the 15th “Double Rifles at upcoming auction!” and just met a nice guy and forum member who’d responded to that post, and I’d debated attending the auction as it’s only a couple hours away, but have pretty well wiped out my gun budget on Rossi dbl shotguns and barrels, etc. Now after finding the Pedersoli isn’t a 45-70, but a possibly very affordable 8x57JRS which would fill my planned 30-40 building niche, and though I don’t have dies & brass I’d certainly would’ve bid on it!

I’m still planning my double rifle build on an outside hammer Rossi shotgun … and actually making a little progress! I’ll be driving up to fellow forum member/gunsmith/DR builder Judson’s shop Tuesday morning, to short chamber to 30-40 my 2 new 30 cal. brls, and am still planning to spend a long Easter weekend down in NJ working in my brother’s workshop, preparing my Rossi 20ga monoblock and extractor, and turning fits and threading both blanks to fit. I doubt I’ll have them tinned and fitted and sweated in, and final headspace chambering done before May 1, but will then determine appropriate loads and assemble some blue pills, build a proofing stand … and stand back!

If after proofing everything measures the same with no other signs of fatigue or failure, I’ll finish the barrels preparatory to regulating and hopefully finish it completely before Autumn. If it fails proofing, I give up and will scrap what’s been compromised, dispose of Rossi shotguns and parts (probably keeping 1 20ga for birdhunting), and start saving and watching for a SIACE Yukon standard grade either in 8x57JRS or 45-70. I’ll still plan to machine and fit a pair of new monoblocks for this new DR eventually, one to be fitted w/24” 20ga tubes, the other w/either 50-110 or 30-40 barrels (depending upon caliber of DR I purchase).

I’ll post again w/building photos hopefully after the Easter holiday or sooner, that is unless on Tuesday Judson looks over the 4 Rossi shotguns I’ve accumulated and finds design/material/strength issues I’ve overlooked.

Thanks for following my “progress?”, Joe(hobbyguymaine)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com