tinker
(.416 member)
20/02/07 02:28 AM
Re: Lump?

Years ago and for quite some time, I built and serviced bicycle and mototcycle frames.
I've assembled countless ultra-high liability silver brazed joints.
The head tube on my custom ducati superbike based street bike is held in a silver brazed lugged joint.
It's held fine for nearly ten years of hard use, no problems. I've seen chromoly tubes literally torn in two (automobile vs bike), where elsewhere in the framework the silver brazed joints held together.

The brazing alloy you've seen may have been a bronze alloy. I just encourage you to look up the engineering specs for the steels and the brazing alloys you're considering. Look at the joint fit tolerances, look at the remperature ranges, look at the listed strengths, make sure your joints are properly prepared and cleaned, use the right flux for the job, use temperature indicator markers when working with engineered materials -- there are some amazing modern engineered silver solder alloys to work with. It's important to do your homework.

If you find out what alloy Searcy or JJ at Champlin uses for a shoe lump setup let me know. I'd really appreciate it.

--Tinker

Contact Us NitroExpress.com