LTK
(.224 member)
02/04/24 01:36 AM
Re: Making front sight.

Quote:

I have a .450 BPE with a small brass bead that works great in good light but not so much when it gets dim. There's not enough room to do a flip up night sight so I took a piece of mild steel, drilled it out for clearance of the bead, turned it down to the size I wanted, then counter bored the face of the tube so it had a good lip on it. Then I split the tube so it would slide over the sight and have a firm fit. Then I took a piece of Walrus Ivory and turned it down so it fit in the lips of the tube. I glued it in using Super Glue, then shaped the face of the ivory. It just slips over the existing sight and has worked well for me.

I was told years ago the Walrus Ivory was better than elephant because it doesn't yellow. I've also used it dovetailed into ramp sight, for instance a Ruger Blackhawk, my 1911 and they've held up well too.

That is an interesting idea. I talked to a buddy yesterday (Daryl's brother) as he has experience with this sort of thing as is, IMO, the best ML builder in the country, whether Ivory was a good choice or should I go with fine silver or even gold as they would be MUCH easier to attach (solder) and would perhaps work as well. My wife said she would look to see if she has any gold jewelry that I can cut up should I choose to go that route. I have pretty much abandoned the ivory idea. I was going to use Elf ivory because that is what I have. I appreciate the idea.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com