crshelton
(.333 member)
05/04/22 07:25 AM
Re: Rechambering a Double .45/70?

Yesterday, I shot my Beretta .45-90 for the first time since Aaron Little extended the chambers from .45-70 to.45-90.

That was a 3/10 inch extension and much of that space was used for powder. Both Aaron and I noticed the difference when firing the rifle to adjust the express sights to zero. Both recoil and sound had increased along with velocity which was well up into the upper velocity of the .458 Win Mag.

In fact, the calculated velocity of the 350 grain North Fork 350 SS bullets equaled that of the .458 WM data in a reloading manual. The darn thing almost jumped out of my hands at first!

It is regulated for 45-50 yards with the bullet holes right next to each other. The calculated velocity is 2200 to 2300 fps. I am eager to shoot it at longer ranges and over my Chronograph.

God willing and the creeks don't rise, I will hunt exotics with it on a cull hunt two weeks from now.

This old picture is the only one that I now have, but some better ones are due soon. Those pix will include detail of the Alaska Gun works QD scope mounts. Reckon the Provenance will need to be updated too.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com