Major_Bonkers
(.224 member)
21/06/20 05:47 PM
Re: H&H take down system?

When I was last in Hollands, being patronised by the gunroom staff, I compared the modern versions of the takedown with mine. They are now made with a much heavier barrel, which probably helps accuracy whilst, of course, making them more of a burden, leading to panting and hand-wobbles when you actually come to take the shot.

The modern versions come with beautiful walnut and engraving, which really makes them too valuable to use properly in my opinion.

I noticed with my rifle that some of the engraving is a bit dodgy. More serious was that the QD scope mounts were not properly aligned with the barrel - someone in the factory had obviously had them lying about and slapped them on without making any further effort. It was not a major issue, but it introduced the irritation of knowing that it was not going to hit the spot unless shot at the zeroed range. I went back to Hollands to ask about a new pair of mounts and was smoothly quoted £6,000 + 20% VAT; going to a local gunmaker, he made up some new ones at a third of the quoted price (and I still thought it too much).

It does lead me to think that, beautiful as these guns and rifles are, and effortlessly superior and dismissive as the 24 year olds running the gunroom are, buying these things new just marks you down as a mug. Nor does the price-gouging equate to profit: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00661140/filing-history

I am afraid that I haven't worked out how to post the images, but I would be happy to e-mail them.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com