Longknife
(.333 member)
30/04/20 09:43 AM
Re: Bore rifle?

Tom , thanks for the reply. I too. am stuck in a Shotgun and ML only state. I have taken every deer I have ever harvested with a .54 rifle or a 20 bore smoothbore ML, both are flintlocks. I am currently tuning an antique SXS ball and shot gun to be my back up weapon in case or adverse weather! See the Emil Echoldt thread. My desire for a real breech loading bore rifle persists and given the cost of these now days I am exploring the possibility of building my own.
Although a 16 bore frame would be smaller and therefore make a lighter gun a decent one is scarce as hens teeth. I am not stuck on building a 20 bore either, a 16 bore would be nice too and a 12 bore would do me fine. As the bores get bigger the pressures' drop, right? ,I am talking low pressure BLACK POWDER loads. These BP loads , according to the charts I can find, top out a 5,000 PSI. using 3 1/2 drams of black powder and one ounce loads. I could fit new rifled barrels to 12 bore monoblock and use existing chambers too!!?,,, I have a Remington 1889 that is in pretty decent condition but the barrels are bulged in a couple of spots, maybe a good candidate!?,,,,Thanks, Ed

Contact Us NitroExpress.com