trumpetman
(.224 member)
28/08/19 05:16 AM
Re: Selling a shotgun converted to DR

CptCurl wrote: " I'm with Dewey Vicknair on this issue." and

"I'm a lawyer, and I can tell you if you convert a shotgun to a rifle and it later blows up you are going to be liable for any injury or damage it causes under U.S. law. You manufactured an unsafe product. It was not designed to take the pressures of a rifle cartridge. End of story. Dewey Vicknair is absolutely correct on this one."
I took a class in MN. gunsmithing school, Building double rifles on shotgun actions, taught by a Colorado gunsmith. The course example project, during proof firing, blew a primer, which destroyed a newly made very high grade English walnut stock the instructor had made for it, and did more damage to the 12, or 16 gauge (can't recall which it was) frame than you would expect--not a pretty picture. Naturally, this proof firing was done at a distance, so nobody was injured at all. Later, the instructor wrote and sold a book covering the process. Since that time, through the years, I have followed this conversion process too, with 100% of my conversions succeeding, without a single problem. I HAVE NOT EVEN TRIED TO SELL ANY OF MY CONVERSIONS, and when our former instructor once asked me if I had sold any of my creations I told him "no," and gave him the very reason why: "I did not like the thought of possibly having one or more lawyers come after me for obvious reasons, for I well knew how expensive that could potentially be for me, even if I were found completely innocent." He seemed to understand perfectly well what I meant. Too, by this time, through undergraduate and graduate school, through practical engineering machinist work experience, etc. I learned a little of what Dewey Vicknair speaks, so to my way of thinking, he is spot on in all respects, and so is CptCurl.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com